show your...dashboard

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's my dash, a feature of these cars I never tire of looking at.

so_hW3CapYl92FnoFpHnISSE7WnPcuMhboBxxWAkysgqt59KwJvZRuyRkjAlRjE0AXBO2klVr9DztZOevmRpSsHqwvDaQBmnbQZQIoXp-OA7tYM3I1IRSy5rIY7xjWZXkDAOU3NS4rIkhFDqLB2VxxEeQ4W8FSDcSfXJ9E_wZsn65Dbl4x-Dyp_8zdvJSR3Bc_lRqVI5MlT1InIzxS-dR55ju2nTDeMfkkGOFbonTnpHBKaS7HPI0y1wMcpj-1fmFzudleY9HlcL708_GDbufu9Y_pRvxa76Vd2lyfvKd50NfyMvbYdtP8oJ0pzbhsggDoAFm7c0E8gYX2M9cY2JTT4_HAVTD7FZIl_wX642LNM0woAx7LQtobc-0GRbuy0urry1A0OIMn41S2JRur_nKXkkFQJzupR5pHCTazwpFZ2wBBOCt-trTK7LGAldt0_jPq4r8tS219i5V2e9qA9tjBudDNHSJud1FCoPjL4CZxeJ3aw2vVus6YwKtJNn-h1LlVa0jsq2L6mKNpxni5geyYCeaeqSYDWn3w0U4sMuoFYQ9Fc4mckTnCQt2-JQCvMBupvUAsyL5Sg7J9Q9uNyvMaL_Z8mJZoLJMd7Io7WfmXhf9iq_XfPM=w1055-h770-no

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Please tell us about the gauges and history of the black Petri, thanks!

Keshav's car is quite spectacular. We chat about steering wheels regularly and did some joint research before he picked up the black Petri from a BMW expert in Germany. They are so rare that it is hard to find pics of them but I found a few.

Here is what Gerrit had to say about the back Petri, from a forum thread:

From 3/71 on, the Petri sportswheel with satin chrome spoke and immitation leather foam rim was available from BMW in 350, 380,400mm. The 380mm with real leather/hard rubber rim came in service in the fall of 1972 for the CSL to replace the Alpina/MOMO wheel that had been in use up to that time in the early CSLs. Parallel to this, those Petri wheels were also available aftermarket in satin chrome or with matt black spokes.
Hope this helps...

Gerrit

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
image.jpeg
A million thanks to Stevehose,
I can proudly announce my spectacular luck in finding and buying an all original 38cm Leather CSL Petri wheel with the long, 4 ring hub.
As Mark will possibly confirm, that's a lottery and pinball ticket win, all in one.

Again, thank you Steve for looking out for your fellow members.

My CSL as it looks now
Keshav

The black Petri's authentsism is confirmed by Marcos and the gauges of my car have been designed by myself and the friendly gauges repair guy helped fulfill the madness.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 25428 A million thanks to Stevehose,
I can proudly announce my spectacular luck in finding and buying an all original 38cm Leather CSL Petri wheel with the long, 4 ring hub.
As Mark will possibly confirm, that's a lottery and pinball ticket win, all in one.

Again, thank you Steve for looking out for your fellow members.

My CSL as it looks now
Keshav

The black Petri's authentsism is confirmed by Marcos and the gauges of my car have been designed by myself and the friendly gauges repair guy helped fulfill the madness.

Yes that CSL wheel was a steal! Good find Steve. Petri wheels aren't particularly rare. Expensive yes, but rare nope. A stand alone petri hub sans wheel is rare, especially a CSL hub. A CSL wheel is rare, as is the black one.

Keshav your car looks awesome. Those BBS have so much bling that the newly add CSL arches help with the transition from wheel to car. I think polished RS's look really good on CSL's.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is my Belgian 71 Sporting some steering wheel options.
First up is a 380 mm Ital Volante with non standard leather Alpina center.

Next, same wheel with the BMW Motorsports center pad it came with. I like this one best for crashing. I

Lastly but not leastly, with a 400mm Petri, forum member RS Porsche suggested I acquire (thanks Scott)

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bob,

you got that Petri, because Steve sold me his 40cm Petri ... and i didn't need two. and you got a real bargain ... i sold it to you for less than i paid for it (i found out later when i found the ebay receipt) ... but for the same that i paid Steve for his. so, its not always about the money. in reality, the two wheels were very close in quality - very close

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Petri it forward! I like the CSi sport wheel also, the leather one, but it's just a little too big for my legs. 38cm is my sweet spot.

Bob,

you got that Petri, because Steve sold me his 40cm Petri ... and i didn't need two. and you got a real bargain ... i sold it to you for less than i paid for it (i found out later when i found the ebay receipt) ... but for the same that i paid Steve for his. so, its not always about the money. in reality, the two wheels were very close in quality - very close

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, that's where a '74 telescoping column comes in handy.
News to me that the 74's had a telescoping function. Wonder how much work that is to retrofit? Of the two steering wheels, the Petri fits the car the best, the hub on the Ital is a bit too long . I'd also like the original BMW wood version. With that, I can take my E9 from Hot looking car on 16 inch Alpina rims, to bone stock classic on skinny Michelins (Actually Sears tires) in about 45 minutes.

Last edited:

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
News to me that the 74's had a telescoping function. Wonder how much work that is to retrofit? I think of two steering wheels, the Petri fits the car the best, the hub on the Ital is a bit too long . I'd also like the original BMW wood version. With that, I can take my E9 from Hot looking car on 16 inch Alpina rims, to bone stock classic on skinny Michelins (Actually Sears tires) in about 45 minutes.

I have a 74, and it comes with a telescoping steering column. I only which it was adjustable up and down as well.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bob, its not an easy change - you have to drop the entire steering column from the pedals back (i believe). you have to source the column, the lower column trim (still available new), the underdash panel, the metal trim on the grab rail. i think the top column cap is the same, you will just have to move yours with the VIN tag. that is the basic description ... it was done on my car by the PO ... probably when they swapped from auto to stick.

i have a spare telescoping column that came with my coupe

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob, its not an easy change - you have to drop the entire steering column from the pedals back (i believe). you have to source the column, the lower column trim (still available new), the underdash panel, the metal trim on the grab rail. i think the top column cap is the same, you will just have to move yours with the VIN tag. that is the basic description ... it was done on my car by the PO ... probably when they swapped from auto to stick.

i have a spare telescoping column that came with my coupe
I have way too much to do to go down this road. That would be a project for 2030…if my weak eyes still work then. Couldn't move a Vin tag either.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
not move a vin tag - move the panel from one column to the other (the panel has the vin tag mounted on it) ... that would keep the vin tag with the correct vehicle. the steering column may or may NOT have the upper panel on it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't throw the term easy around a lot, but it's pretty easy to remove the whole column. I would imagine that putting the column back in and getting the u-joint situated could be tricky.

The upper column isn't a panel on the fixed column structure. the whole unit including the exterior is structural. It really is a solid cast aluminum column. It contains the mounting holes and houses the lock cylinder.

This is the underside of the top 'panel'
31101886504_fcc9dbbdcd_b.jpg

31794289742_be2d84a0fe_b.jpg

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Blasphemy! Petris are beautiful! :D

They are indeed! Nothing wrong with them at all. For me, the style works well in a race oriented car with the holes theoretically there for weight saving.
But on a stylish GT car it feels a little busy to me. Again, just personal taste. All good either way.