What did you do to your E9 today?

TodB

Reaction score
Water spots. Hate them.

I had a bad case of "the spots" all over the coupe. Re-washing did not help. Vinegar did not help. I even tried a product called Eraser which had rave reviews on Amazon. Nothing. Eraser again with an aggressive pad and the orbital. Still nothing so I began to panic. I had visions of wet sanding and making it even worse.

At this point, there wasn't a lick of wax on the car so I went for it with a very aggressive foam pad, Griots most aggressive compound and pushed as hard as I dared with the orbital. It took two rounds of compound but the little buggers finally disappeared. Not sure where the spots came from but I've installed a water softener filter on our outside hose (FL) as the water is rock hard here. If you see my coupe at the Vintage and see a water spot on it, keep that to yourself :).

Now that we're in FL, 3M Crystalline tint is next assuming they can work with the coupe curved glass. I had the 3M tint installed yesterday on my E36 M3 and it looks and works great.

Other than that, I've been driving my coupe each evening. Loving FL other than the bat sh*t crazy drivers. I thought I was bad...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tod, you should look up echappe ... as i remember he lives in St. Aug ... he sold his coupe a few years ago.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Which level of Crystaline did you choose? I would like the clearest on mine, pricey but it would be great to have here in the South.

Now that we're in FL, 3M Crystalline tint is next assuming they can work with the coupe curved glass. I had the 3M tint installed yesterday on my E36 M3 and it looks and works great.

Other than that, I've been driving my coupe each evening. Loving FL other than the bat sh*t crazy drivers. I thought I was bad...

TodB

Reaction score
Which level of Crystaline did you choose? I would like the clearest on mine, pricey but it would be great to have here in the South.

I went with 40 (darkest) on the E36 (see attached) . Not sure yet what I will use on the Coupe.

Attachments

• IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    540.7 KB · Views: 163

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tod, in Monterey at Legends I was competing with guys who had their cars ceramic coated! No need to wax any more, I couldn't compete with that after driving 3500 miles, too many nooks an crannies in our E9s compared to a '91 850Ci. The E30 M3s won anyway.

TodB

Reaction score
Tod, in Monterey at Legends I was competing with guys who had their cars ceramic coated! No need to wax any more, I couldn't compete with that after driving 3500 miles, too many nooks an crannies in our E9s compared to a '91 850Ci. The E30 M3s won anyway.

Yes, but you DROVE your car there from the East coast (and back). That counts much more to me then how shiny and clean your car is (and yours was also!).

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
More Vintage prep, I went back to satin black for the PS reservoir cover after a couple years au naturel, touched up some other areas. This AM my wife noted that a package has arrived for me every day this week, little does she know I will be going 5 for 5 as another is on the vehicle for delivery today.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i cleaned + greased the spare front regulators last night while the wife was out.

Drove it!!

Traded some things for these beauties.

View attachment 25742

Ed Z
Ed, if those seat sliders don't fit on the 2000cs, you might want to place an add for vintage porsche people ... those sliders are worth a pretty penny to those guys (karnut1 type pricing+)

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tooooo good Steve, there is no end to this madness. I get away with most of the packages arriving since the lady gets back from work after the carriers' delivery times. I'm tired of my sanity being questioned.

After confirming the original wiper length with HB Chris, 40cm, I ordered a pair from Christoph Bier (CS WERK).
They are exactly like the originals, basically NOS. €65. Stainless steel V2. Pic added.
If anyone is going to replace theirs, these are the ones to get. image.png
Any help needed in contacting Christoph, let me know. He has a bunch of cool stuff.
Keshav

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well the local 3M Crystalline installer says they could install it on the coupe's curved glass (Crystalline apparently is more difficult to work with than normal material), that it would take an entire day to get right, and cost $700 for the sides and the rear windshield and $300 for the front windshield. Ouch. Am curious what you get quoted. This has just been filed under nfw right now.

I went with 40 (darkest) on the E36 (see attached) . Not sure yet what I will use on the Coupe.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, do you have film on your rear windshield currently? if so, how would you remove it without damaging the defroster?
i'm with you on the NFW right now. i removed the tint off of my spare set of windows and was trying to decide if i should have them redone before replacing the regulators and swap out the glass at the same time.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have no film on my windows. Was hoping to put the clearest Crystalline in to cut the temp a little and block the UV's hitting from my interior without it looking tinted from the outside. This would take major laundering that I am not in a position to do given the amount of stuff I am now doing for the long drive to NC.

Steve, do you have film on your rear windshield currently? if so, how would you remove it without damaging the defroster?
i'm with you on the NFW right now. i removed the tint off of my spare set of windows and was trying to decide if i should have them redone before replacing the regulators and swap out the glass at the same time.

TodB

Reaction score
Well the local 3M Crystalline installer says they could install it on the coupe's curved glass (Crystalline apparently is more difficult to work with than normal material), that it would take an entire day to get right, and cost $700 for the sides and the rear windshield and $300 for the front windshield. Ouch. Am curious what you get quoted. This has just been filed under nfw right now.

I went by the 3M tint place today with my Coupe. The installer recommended Crystalline CR 70 (second lightest) which rejects 50% of the solar energy but still has a very subtle tint which should give the AC some relief. He also said no problem with the rear window curvature. I haven't decided on the windshield yet. I'l post pics next Thursday after I get it back.

Costwise, I'm at $449 + another $200 if I want the windshield done but this is also the second car I've done with him in a week.

I put the CR40 (darkest) in my M3 and the heat reduction is dramatic.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This confirms my suspiscion that they are attempting to gouge me and my Bee-Em-Dubya

I went by the 3M tint place today with my Coupe. The installer recommended Crystalline CR 70 (second lightest) which rejects 50% of the solar energy but still has a very subtle tint which should give the AC some relief. He also said no problem with the rear window curvature. I haven't decided on the windshield yet. I'l post pics next Thursday after I get it back.

Costwise, I'm at $449 + another $200 if I want the windshield done but this is also the second car I've done with him in a week.

I put the CR40 (darkest) in my M3 and the heat reduction is dramatic.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last night I organized all of my parts into some heavy duty home depot bins. They cost $8 or so and are stackable. Black with yellow lids.

Today I dropped off my Weds faces at the powder coater. I found a guy that is charging 50% of what the other shops wanted. Seems like a good guy. I'm going to have him shoot my old wilton vise next.