The Vintage May 19-21 2017 in Asheville NC

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Coupes were well represented at the Vintage. There must have been at least 25 - 30 beautiful examples. No rain but it was very hot. Below is a pic of a few of us leaving having a spirited coupe departure thru the winding mountain roads.
IMG_3538.JPG

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So great to spend some time with most of the Coupe guys and gals. Plan to drive Athena next year. Great to see so many Coupes in attendance. Wayne K, same plan for next year's drive down?

TodB

Reaction score
A great long car weekend! It was great to meet some new folk, see the "old guard" and enjoy some terrific NC BBQ. I left Sunday morning at 3 AM in the rain (which only lasted 30 minutes) and pulled into my driveway 9:45. I didn't hit any appreciable traffic until I was south of Jacksonville. The car ran flawlessly all weekend over 1,300 miles.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Dohn

Reaction score
As a recent recruit to the clan of the coupe, I want to say how much I enjoyed meeting fellow owners and sharing in their expertise. I would have talked longer, but the sun was melting this damn Yankee! Great time, great cars, even better people. See you next year!

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew and Cindy, for sure. And this time Stan and other east coasters will hopefully join! And we need to take toms advice and do the entire blue ridge from shady gap. I will also post my thoughts on Vintage which I feel has strayed too far from original formula. I wish the Macha's could have experienced the Winston Salem approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TodB

Reaction score
This was my first Vintage but I've heard awesome things about the Winston Salem set up. I'd say that the organizers went for the cash and volume over experience which I understand. Alternatively, he could increase the prices on a WS hosted event and make it more exclusive.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott moved to Asheville so it probably made more sense for him to do it there. Also the popularity of the event grew such that WS could not handle the number of participants. This was also my first Vintage and i loved the drive up to the event through the mountains and the availability of cool driving roads in and out of asheville. I would like to see the e9's all together.

This was my first Vintage but I've heard awesome things about the Winston Salem set up. I'd say that the organizers went for the cash and volume over experience which I understand. Alternatively, he could increase the prices on a WS hosted event and make it more exclusive.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For me, the event was special, but the time spent with friends both at and away from the event was even more rewarding. That and the driving as Steve says was awesome. Looks like we might be attending O'fest since it moved to November.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Old W-S was a great venue, max was 325 cars there and we had to vacate by 4pm. Asheville has a different feel and much better driving roads than W-S. Felt this year was close in feel to when it was held at the Vineyards. It has doubled in size in 2 years. I wasn't able to spend as much time with all my friends as in past years yet still had quality time with others. I felt a spread a little this trying to see everything. Also the first year driving a modern BMW with the 1988 M5, not as much camaraderie as with 2002s and the Coupes. As I said in an earlier post, driving Athena next year.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For me, the event was special, but the time spent with friends both at and away from the event was even more rewarding. That and the driving as Steve says was awesome. Looks like we might be attending O'fest since it moved to November.

Wish I'd been able to spend more time with you Chris.
I'm looking into O'Fest as well...will most likely drive Athena.

Dohn

Reaction score
Wish I'd been able to spend more time with you Chris.
I'm looking into O'Fest as well...will most likely drive Athena.

The date change was enough to put O'fest on my calendar. I'll be driving my e9 there as well. My wife says "I'll fly down, thank you very much." See you there!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dohn I looked for you at Vintage but never could cross paths, looking forward to seeing you here in NOLA.

The date change was enough to put O'fest on my calendar. I'll be driving my e9 there as well. My wife says "I'll fly down, thank you very much." See you there!

Dohn

Reaction score
Dohn I looked for you at Vintage but never could cross paths, looking forward to seeing you here in NOLA.

Yeah, it would have been nice to get all the e9s together in one area so all the owners could get together to swap stories/lies/fears/tears. I met a number of owners of cars that were parked in the middle of the field with mine, but saw some others scattered about that I missed. So many cars, so little time. I will make a point of having Andrew introduce us at O'fest, since I trust him to know everyone.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was in that group, one row across from you in front of Coupelady's car and I still missed you.

Yeah, it would have been nice to get all the e9s together in one area so all the owners could get together to swap stories/lies/fears/tears. I met a number of owners of cars that were parked in the middle of the field with mine, but saw some others scattered about that I missed. So many cars, so little time. I will make a point of having Andrew introduce us at O'fest, since I trust him to know everyone.

Dohn

Reaction score
I was in that group, one row across from you in front of Coupelady's car and I still missed you.

Steve, Now I'm even more disappointed, knowing you saw my car but not me. I was running around trying to get photos (Buckeye Chapter newsletter editor) and hung out for a while at the Foundation booth, since I volunteer for them. Basically I tried to stay anywhere shady. I'm sure I saw your car, as I did check them all out, but I wouldn't have known if one was yours, since your line drawing avatar is not color-specific. I will make a point of looking you up at O'fest.

Andrew, A caravan sounds great. You would need to swing west to get to NOLA anyway, right? Driving long distances in 40+ year old cars certainly seems wiser in groups, especially for a newbie like me.