Stereo console (with aircon) part number

Boobouna

Reaction score
Hi all,

My car has an aftermarket stereo removed and I would like to install a period correct Becker or blaupunkt radio. I was wondering if anyone knows the part number for centre console where the radio is fitted. My car has factory air con so the section underneath is unique to air con cars. I can't find this on realoem or walloth nesch diagrams. Picture of my console below. Appreciate your help on this.

710198677790522916a80b6b143ecf52.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi all,

My car has an aftermarket stereo removed and I would like to install a period correct Becker or blaupunkt radio. I was wondering if anyone knows the part number for centre console where the radio is fitted. My car has factory air con so the section underneath is unique to air con cars. I can't find this on realoem or walloth nesch diagrams. Picture of my console below. Appreciate your help on this.

Yours frame was cuted (from hole dimensions on your photo i assume it was made probably for newer type radio), that's why you should make custom adaptor. Or you can weld your frame and make new standard period Blaupunkt or Becker hole.
BMW E9 parts 001a.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As Wladek said, your AC Face Plate has been cut to fit a DIN radio. You have a few options:

1. Have a piece of aluminum TIG welded back into place. Use an angle grinder to smooth out the face. Cut a new opening. It sounds harder than it is. Aluminum is soft so cutting is easy and the finish work would go quick. You can also use body filler to smooth any voids. My guess would be around $200 USD plus finish work by you.

2. Buy a used one. The cost is around $200 to $800 USD depending on the seller. There is one on Ebay for $1,500 but that is somewhat of a running joke. The ones for $200 have been modified, but not as severe as yours. They get better from there. Pay attention to the shape and number of grille slats. The AC face plate that Wladek posted is for an E3.

3. Buy a 3D printed Nylon version (disclaimer - from me :D). The cost is around $225 USD depending on the radio selection. See the 3D printing thread in my sig for details. FYI - this is not a money making operation for me. It will be quite a long time before I break even on this experiment.

4. Edit per Roger (RMP) below. You may be able to cover your enlarged opening with a period correct radio face plate. Period Becker and Blaupunkt radios have face plates. Check eBay for used or reproduction.

No matter what keep your original. Roger's suggestion keeps your face plate lettering intact as a resorts wouldn't be required. If that doesn't work I would go with option #1 or #3. In both options you will lose your lettering due to having to repaint the face plate, but @m73 sells vinyl letters to adhere to a freshly painted face plate.

Last edited:

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have the same modified opening once the after market radio was removed. See the attached pic of Blaupunkt clips which attach behind the two radio knobs, a vintage Blaupunkt radio in my case, and hold the radio in place by spring pressure. The entire opening plus radio then covers the opening completely by the radio faceplate. Vintageblau in New York sells the radios, parts, knobs, these mounting clips and he is very helpful. Search for the Vintageblau website.

Thanks, Roger

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 169

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the same modified opening once the after market radio was removed. See the attached pic of Blaupunkt clips which attach behind the two radio knobs, a vintage Blaupunkt radio in my case, and hold the radio in place by spring pressure. The entire opening plus radio then covers the opening completely by the radio faceplate. Vintageblau in New York sells the radios, parts, knobs, these mounting clips and he is very helpful. Search for the Vintageblau website.

Thanks, Roger

Excellent suggestion Roger. I updated my post to include your reference.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Excellent suggestion Roger. I updated my post to include your reference.
Hi. I'm a little confused. I was told that the E9 Face plate only has 6 vent openings and the E3 has seven. The plate shown here has seven. So who is correct?.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a little confused. I was told that the E9 Face plate only has 6 vent openings and the E3 has seven. The plate shown here has seven. So who is correct?.

The picture posted by wladek is an e3 plate.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks, Roger

useful, but caution, only valid for big radio fascias, check the size with your radio first

Boobouna

Reaction score
Thanks all for suggestions. Really appreciate it.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Becker Mexico AM/FM Stereo Cassette was introduced in 1969 and is considered by many Eurofans to be "The Grail", it is a head with separate amp (2nd piece mounts in space under dash or around glove box.) The Mexico is "correct" for the entire E9 run having been made from 1969 (800DM cost in 1969!) to 1975 and get this the head unit is DIN-sized (betcha didn't know that!) so don't necessarily dismiss a DIN cutout in your coupe faceplate as "butchered."
Becker--Mexico--Cassette--Vollstereo--fuer--Mercede.jpg
Being regarded as "the best" the Mexico stereo (especially with script name on the signal seek bar) seem extremely expensive today BUT...an important upside is Becker is still in existence today and they will refurb vintage head units and they can fit modern inputs for your satellite radio and iPod.

They even manufacture a "retro" Mexico that is very nice looking and powerful (30w RMS x4) and has a speech dialogue system, Bluetooth, telephone, internet, CF card navigation (maps) and a card reader.
download.png
Hope this helps, I got a couple of my Beckers out from Aladdin's chest after seeing your post, turns out my stashed Europa (small form factor) is mounted in an E3 AC panel (no cuts or mods), my old Mexico (remember, DIN) is in an uncut, doesn't look modified E9 panel...I bought it in 2003 after winning an eBay auction for a CSL (only 6000 GBP) but before the Sussex-based dentist seller sadly vanished. I'll probably never be able to afford an L now but at least I have a Mexico!