Are your sons & daughters or nieces / nephews into cars?

Into cars?

• Definitely

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Not Really

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Yes as kids, not really as adults

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No as kids, more so as adults

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
We all probably received toys cars as children for birthdays and holidays. You can probably remember what those toys were and what they meant to you. You most certainly gifted toy cars to your children at least once or twice. Did that turn into a love for automobiles or not so much?

Funny story. My oldest brother has always been into cars, far more than myself and much more broad. He collects diecast, specifically european cars. When my son was under a year, he sent us about 50 unopened hot wheels. All 70’s and 80’s euros, with a sprinkling of modern european super cars. We didn’t want to dump all these on the little guy all at once. So we saved them for potty training. Ever time he had a successful #2, he was allowed to pick out a hot wheels. Worked beautifully! :D

With that said, neither of my children are into cars. They think some cars are interesting or cute, but don’t care know much of anything about any particular car.

My car hobby has always been a solo endeavor. I can’t say that I am disappointed, but If either expressed interest I would most certainly embrace their enthusiasm.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Might add grandchildren also!

1671994394319.png

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Markos,
I feel the same thing. I’ve exposed my 3 children to every vehicle under the sun. From jet skis and dirt bikes to race cars, boats and airplanes. They care about them as much as most people would an average garden tool. They say they are cool, but they are ultimately uninterested. I’ve seen my 25 year old son get more enthused about a Pokémon card. Additionally, they judge a car based on how good the heated seat or airconditioner seems to be. If it’s easy to use, then they are happy. I don’t believe that any of my kids have ever cared to wash a car or take pride in one. They consider a car to be more like a pair of boots you pull on to walk through a mud field. My vehicular pursuits have always be sadly lonesome. I often wonder what I’ll do with my messed up menagerie of vehicles as I age. I secretly hope that one of them will have a hands on kid that they have no idea how to get interested in anything but vehicles. Then I get to step in as the hero keeping them connected in ways that they can’t. That’s really just a goofy day dream to make myself feel less of a old dying breed.

In the spirit of giving and Christmas, I’ve been on the lookout for a worthy and interested young person to consider handing parts of my collection to. They should be with someone who wants them.

mark

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My son is the one that got me into cars. We have tons of fun going to cars and coffee's and working on cars Here are a few pics, Bimmer fest, He was on a car show Sorted, Bimmerfest, Legends and spirited drives. Its great give me a pass with my wife to do car stuff cause I am "spending quality time with my son". PS his best friend is into cars so we all hang out together

IMG_1616.jpg
IMG_1693.jpg
IMG_1704.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a daughter and a son. Both like to drive, but have never been interested in working with me on the cars that I have had.

My daughter likes the coupe and was with me on Thanksgiving weekend on one of the drives that @CSteve organizes. On that same drive she fell in love with the Gogomobile that joined us for the meet-up portion of the drive. (picture below).

Road Dogs 11262022.jpg

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm glad I taught one daughter how to drive a stick shift, but neither of them, nor my nieces or nephews have any real interest in cars. I'm the only one of 4 kids who took up my father's interest in cars.

WPS jr in 1935 Morgan Super Sport IMG_3701.jpg

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Neither of my two children were/are really 'into cars', (son wanted and had a VW bug in HS, now in mid-50's has a Tesla and a Camaro so he is kind of into them!). Daughter just wants/needs 'transportation'.

My grandson (son's youngest son) is now 20 and definitely into cars. He just bought a 1st year Miata that he is planning to restore. Will be doing so while he's studying architecture and also employed by an architectural firm. We have dinner together every few weeks to discuss his project.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
modified the question in the poll as
it conflicted with the title. Hopefully the limited answers aren’t shot. Vote changes are allowed.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pics of hanging out with son and his friends. Bonding over cars

03575A56-4FB4-4873-996D-FDCFE3391CBA.jpeg
7FFA13DB-F19B-4D56-9551-95B3DC8FD5E2.jpeg
9365EB1C-C31D-4519-B70E-E526CF1685DE.jpeg
E7CAA96B-AC64-427B-9F82-ACB100DE41D6.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2983.jpg
    IMG_2983.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Boonies, your daughter skewed the age of the drivers by a century. But it was great to meet an interested young person. My son loves cars, worked on some, had everything from an old Dodge Ram with a hood Ram with eyes that lit red, currently a 2005 Mercury Mountanier in mint condition he bought for a song, and in between a Dodge Daytona, two identical late 90s 4Runners and a couple other assorted somethings.

My daughter, "Car Girl" loved all my coupes and now, Lilli, my cherry 1976 2002 will go to her for my grandson, Orion. Both my children know how to drive stick. My son-in-law, a Philadelphia Police Officer has no clue. Appalling!

Yesterday at our family Christmas dinner Orion, six years old, was playing with two old 2002 keys. He asked what they were for. I said they "are for the BMW." His eyes lit up and he pretended to head for the garage. At least I think he was pretending.

My four siblings, care less, don't know a thing about cars. I suspect two of them are like our father. I would ask him if he knew how to change a tire? Always a positive response. He lied.

Great topic, how about one on how young we were when we fell in love with the ICE and a story or two about our youthful adventures?

20201108_093930_resized_10 (1).jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
PS: I know all of you will spot the Behr AC and the automatic shifter. They are a concession to climate change and our ages, 75 and my 81 years. The automatic is for Karen who has neuro shoulder and arm problems. And so it goes as the wise Kurt proclaimed.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Our two sons and their three sons are into cars. They attend Monterey Car Week events regularly with us. One daughter-in-law and two or our grandsons made it into the background of the centerfold of Roundel’s coverage of Legends this year. Our daughter and two daughter-in-law’s also like cars but not to the degree our sons do. At one point they all had a manual Mini Coopers S.

4C787106-A979-4414-9AC0-4C5F40DB3447.jpeg
A854410F-63AD-4006-95B0-54740D96D954.jpeg

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Norm

At the very right of the second picture you can barely see the front of my E9. My son and his best friend spent all day with me at the event. I thought they both would pee in their pants when I got 3rd place. To them it was like me winning the academy awards. On a side note, my sons best friend found me my E9. It his dream car but at this age he cannot afford it so he has a REALLY nice E90 M4. The three of us go to cars shows almost every month.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
My son is the one that got me into cars. We have tons of fun going to cars and coffee's and working on cars Here are a few pics, Bimmer fest, He was on a car show Sorted, Bimmerfest, Legends and spirited drives. Its great give me a pass with my wife to do car stuff cause I am "spending quality time with my son".
you are a lucky guy!

TrackRat

Reaction score
i have two daughters and three sons, now all adults ranging from 40 to 32. Both girls view cars as primarily driving appliances. Not that I didn’t try, mind you. But all three sons took to cars from a tender age, and continue the car nut tradition in my family.

I have to say my father really launched it when our first was born. He gave my then 1 1/2 year old son all my old matchbox cars stashed at their house. My son went nuts, holding a car in each hand and alternately cycling through the 30 car collection one by one - right hand then left hand- while spinning the wheels with a tiny finger. I think this was a seminal moment!

Here are several images through the years showing their interest in motorsports growing over time

Eldest son’s first track day in 2000, pedaling my now sold M635 CSi at Watkins Glen. He had just turned 18, and legal for track days a couple weeks before.
DF87BD57-2E72-4918-9F47-1CEB66D5F339.jpeg

Lime Rock Park, three of us karting on the infield course around 2002:
B50AF97F-14F3-42D4-8CA2-805EFC4C69AB.jpeg

Pocono North infield course in my STI around 2005, one son in the passenger seat, co-driving together and learning the fast way around with AWD Subaru.
0ED66CD6-52F2-46D5-8913-CD26F5DBA1EF.jpeg

eldest son at WGI, top of the Esses, in a 70 Mustang. Nice early morning lighting.
2D8CB532-7A12-4976-B658-4C8A83DB0B78.jpeg

I was chasing him in my ‘65
3D6B320F-E153-4AB5-A83E-A105E59DEF0F.jpeg

and here is the four of us at Lime Rock for a wet track day, fielding three cars for four drivers.
7653F384-3664-42A5-888E-3E942D03DA14.jpeg

and a shot at LRP with me driving my CS hotrod, with my sons then-GF in the passenger seat.
A9FAC84C-5E53-4AB3-A77B-819C3150C2D3.jpeg

All three have continued on with cars, track days, Lucky Dog 24Hr and Lemons endurance racing, and rallycross. I plan to campaign my coupe with a Brunswick Maine based autocross group in 2023. That will be a new experience for me.

Collectively, we four have a wide range of interesting cars, both modern and old stuff. So our family get-togethers continue to be interesting on several levels.

Best wishes to all for 2023.