Brass freeze plugs

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are the ones BMW sells Brass? I would think they aren't. Is brass preferable? Seems they would be prettier, longer at least. Any sources for these?
Tia.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Bob, I think the BMW freeze plugs are not brass but have a yellow coating and they look proper when installed. I am not sure they make brass ones??

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I put those freeze plugs in my 2002. They do look great, but that finish won't last. Anyone know what sizes the BMW M30 takes?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you could try some VHT high temp satin clear coat on them and touch up as necessary. Remarkably durable stuff.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bob, I say this with all kindness, I'm a little worried for you and I would like you to consider joining me at a 12-step-program meeting for BMW addicts, I will be hosting our session at the Vintage in NC. :)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I might just take you up on that Peter, Is it anywhere near Boone? My Dad lives there. Just visited last week.

m_thompson

Reaction score
If you really want brass freeze plugs you can get ones intended for marine applications. You could clear coat them so they would stay pretty.

Dohn

Reaction score
I might just take you up on that Peter, Is it anywhere near Boone? My Dad lives there. Just visited last week.

About 70 miles south on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful drive. Boone is great; my folks had a time share on Sugar Mountain, so we visit the area nearly every year. Rt. 221 between Linville and Blowing Rock makes the trip worthwhile!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I might be down in the area sometime over the summer. If anyone wants to buy an exquisite mountain property that is valued at less than its building cost 20 years ago, let me know.
Dad is selling his home and we are hopefully giving it a kitchen and bathroom Reno before listing it.
This place has about the nicest view in the morning of any place I have been, as it is located near Boone at the top of a mountain , above the cloud line in the mornings.
Veritable Mount Zeus.

Last edited: