Monterey 2017 - Housing.....Update..(Airbnb, HomeAway, VRBO, etc.)

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought I would share this in a separate post so it doesn't get lost in the other 2017 Monterrey post thread. I spoke to the owner of the VRBO (AirBnB, HomeAway) that we stayed in last year. I know a lot of you rent the same home year after year as I was hoping to do. Well there is a big change this year. Monterrey has enacted a 30-day minimum rental stay for vacation rentals. They are being very militant in enforcing this apparently through the various associations and districts. $1,000 minimum fine if caught advertising for any home under that time period. So even if you find some homes available online during the Rolex Monterrey weekend, she is saying be careful if they will honor your stay.

I don't want to scare anyone, and if you have had long term connections, I'm sure they will make accommodations, you will probably not be able to book through the websites however. I haven't seen anyone post anything about this yet, I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. Maybe Mike (OC Coupe) can elaborate on this being a "local" now. But I'm just passing along what I was told today from the owner of the rental unit we stayed with last year.

Needless to say this will bump hotels/motels up even more with even more limited alternatives. Maybe outside Monterrey it is different, Carmel, Carmel Valley, Pacific Grove etc. General Camping is still available at the track with a waiting list for premium sites. $50 General (first come first serve). Then it goes to $225-$275/night for the premium sites which is more than I paid for a killer house right near the cannery last year. This may be the last year for the $50 camp sites, who know?

Anyhow, good luck........see you at the campsite...LOL. At least the commute won't be bad and dog friendly!

Attachments

• Buddy%20Island%20Parker%20Sept%204-5%202011%20007.jpg
    Buddy%20Island%20Parker%20Sept%204-5%202011%20007.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 162

jmackro

Reaction score
I too have heard about the one month minimum. Not sure which communities have adopted it; I had heard it was Carmel (which is a pretty snooty place). But the adjoining towns may have it too.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, the story is not that simple. Monterey did not enact a change, instead the County has a new interpretation of the law.

From what I have found, it appears that last July Monterey County released a legal memo expressing the view that short term rentals (less than 30 days) in the unincorporated areas of the county are illegal. The local rental real estate association has a different view of the law. Nonetheless, if the County is being militant in their enforcement, some property owners (and VRBO) are probably being cowed into submission. On the other hand, a property owner in Pebble Beach is suing the County to have this interpretation overturned.

To make matters even more complicated, Monterey County has proposed new rules, which were the subject of a hearing last month and will again be debated on June 28.

http://www.mcvra.org/county-regulation

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like a mess this year regarding house rentals. I'm actually looking forward to getting gritty and camping at the track. Sounds like fun the more I think about it. What's a little dirt in the teeth? Plus I can bring my black lab. She loves camping. I'll have to hide the beer from her.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guys, this is b.s. We locked in our place last year and there is little chance they can impose this change without grandfathering. I'm not going to worry about this except for maybe next year. The hotels in Monterey suck, which is why I originally changed to home rentals and I'm not going back. The last hotel I stayed at, the Deerfield Inn, I will never forget - stinky carpets and a shower nozzle aimed at my navel. Shane, if you need a room, we have an extra at our Carmel home. Wayne

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's awesome Wayne I appreciate it. I'll definitely stop by and have a cold one. I really am kind of looking forward to spending the time at the track and camping. I want to take a lot of pictures and really enjoy the racing more this year than the shows. I will still do Legends and Festorics. I'm actually looking forward to getting woken up by loud car exhausts and smelling like whiskey and a campfire. Don't expect me in my Sunday best that weekend.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My stepdad cannot come to Monterey this year due to health issues. If someone chris Ohmes, Peter c and I know needs a room, let me know. We will be there Monday thru Sunday evening at our hilltop Carmel home rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk