Had a fun little run-in with an M3 this evening. . .

AndyM

Reaction score
. . .on my way home from work this evening - heading north on I-5 in the fast lane doing about 75 mph - minding my own business - when I see the distinctive headlights of a new BMW coming up quickly behind me. He shoots into the number 2 lane to try to pass me and before I knew what happened, my passive-aggressive alter-ego stepped in and decided. . .no way, not today. Game on. A quick downshift to third immediately brought all 3.5 liters roaring up to five grand under the disciplined authority of the Schrick cam and my coupe took off like a scalded cat. Out of the corner of my eye I see its an M3 as I pull away from him before he realizes WTF just happened. He jumped in behind me, but it was too late. I hit fourth, then fifth. He was keeping up about ten car lengths behind, but couldn't close on me. I'm not sure how fast I was going (my speedo is in km and I was kinda busy) but it was pretty friggin' fast. Now, I freely admit that he would've caught me in short order and spanked my coupe in the long run. . .but that's not the point. I would've kept the fun going, but ran out of room when I caught up to the traffic ahead. I slowed down to let him pass me if he wanted. He didn't. Instead he came up next to me, then worked his way over to the next exit. I was following him to get around slower traffic. Then I see his window roll down as he gets off the exit -- I fully expected the middle finger -- but was surprised at the big thumbs up and horn blowing! Its refreshing to see some of our newer brethren who actually respect and appreciate their heritage! The last guy I did this to was in an older M6 -- and he was less than happy.

I love this car. . . :D

Dave B

Reaction score
Hooligan ...........not!

Andy,

Well done and thank for sharing your story - it brought a big smile to my face.

At present the badge saying "3.0" is off my car bootlid - it shows only CSi just now. Coupes are so rare over here that I have caught out many a young boy racer in a similar fashion.

Oh - the joys of motoring! Seeing the puzzled look on the face beneath the backward facing baceball cap is a favourite sight.......

:twisted:

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
That reminds me of an evening this summer, I was strolling along the A1 from traffic light to traffic light and notice this mondeo st220 making aggressive jestures so at the next light we both took off as fast as we could. to my surprise the csl was a length in front and stayed there till the next lights. You could tell he was hammering it as being front wheel drive she gave a small screech every time he changed up.

Quite impressive stuff really and he gave it the big thumbs up!

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for making me smile Andy. How often are you driving her to work? I'd love to check out the "project" that seems to be done enough to make an E-46 owner take notice!

AndyM

Reaction score
Hey Glenn. I pretty much drive it every day that its not raining. The drivetrain is done -- I finally got the headers and the exhaust installed a few weeks ago. I'm still tuning it, but its 90% there. It will be time to dyno it soon for some true hp figures. Really the only thing left is to permanently mount the ECU for the fuel injection -- right now its hanging from a bunch of wires on the passenger side firewall. Let me know if you want to check it out over lunch some day. My new office is right down the street -- 550 West C Street.

steve

Reaction score
I was going down I 5 last year when i saw a silver convertible coming up fast in the rear view. He got over to try and pass when I noticed it was a Z8. I down shifted and we both ran side by side up to about 110 then I decided it was time to let off.

We both slowed down to the legal speed and he shouts over to me. "That thing is bad ass!"

That was worth all the pain, sweat, frustration, money ect. that it has taking to get it where it is!

TodB

Reaction score
Coupe

Out for the usual early (6 AM) Sunday morning highway cruise loop in the Coupe last Summer minding my own business going 90ish on a 2 mile straight with no traffic. Came up on a rice rocket "slammed" Honda who wouldn't let me by once he saw me. Finally passed him at 125 (indicated)...and got the thumbs up.

Fun, but very foolish in a 35 year old car.

And let the chest thumping continue!

pj

Reaction score
On the way to the concorso this year ,I had some fun with a 911 . I think the guy was wondering why he spent 110g on a quished bug ( OK if the road was clear he would have destroyed me but we got up to the 100mph mark regardless.)

PJ
73 csi (Toolow)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On the way to the concorso this year, I had some fun with a 911

PJ, you failed to mention that I was following you to concorso with my father in law in the passenger seat...

pj

Reaction score
Arde was in tow, and much more responsible than I. For my sins I did get a bogus Speed Contest ticket on sunday on my way to the Historics ,40 in a 35 and "racing" a e34 m5, problem with that picture I was in front of him (if we were racing that would not be the case) doing maybe 40.We both are fighting the ticket as we really were not racing in any way or means.We were supposed to appear in october but they have no record in the system, Hopefully the DA looked at the ticket and threw it out.
So as cute as our cars are they still get pulled over and Ticketed unless you are lucky and get a cop who's into cars. I am sure we all have a few Good Cop -Bad Cop stories

PJ

Mewish

Reaction score
I smoked some racerboy in his primer-coloured Nissan Altima on an extremely curvy ridge once. I'll bet he thought twice about his "superior Japanese handling" after that ordeal!

I envy you csl owners that can actually keep up with some of the newer sportscars, though...