Restored or Original?

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My spring itch is back and i'm looking for the CSL and tii i've been planning on getting since i left high school and sold my malaga tii. I've been considering the super low mileage CS listed out there...but would rather have a CSL. On the other hand...maybe a restored, updated CS would be a better drive and easier to find or custom build with a good restorer. Any perspectives here? What would you rather have...a mint CS or CSL original or an updated CS. Same with the tii.
thanks

also, has everyone had good experiences with coupeking? they are doing a malaga tii now and i'm sure could find a great cs for a starter.
any other great restoration shops out there? i've also here that bimmerdoc is great? Kormann?

thanks for the input.
chuck

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Restored or original

Hi ccr2002,

Check out the latest Bimmer magazine for references to CSL, CS and Coupeking.

Chuck

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coupe King

Peter is great. He knows these cars inside and out, has tons of parts and always has something in your price range. He has done a lot of work on my `73 e9.

kealaiki

Reaction score
Coupeking & Bimmerdoc

My experiences with Peter and Carl have been positive. Both are knowledgeable and professional - straight arrows.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
While watching the NFL Draft...now have more time for this question:

My prior 2002 restoration experiences, together with comments around the internet, e9board in particular....made me choose to sign onto a ground up restoration...or recent restoration, rather than an original car. Mostly because I didn't want to deal with any unknown problems. Likely a more up front expensive choice, but I rather drive the car than spend my time than dealing with ongoing restoration issues. Note: Murray's proclamations....

Quickly found 3 noted coupe restoration guys in the country: The Werk Shop in Chicago, Matt McGuinn in Ct, and CoupeKing in LB. I've see Matt's work at LimeRock '02 fests, but our timing wasn't great. I didn't want to go Chicago, plus the Werk Shop was beyond my price range; many people have good experiences with Coupeking, and he has cache of parts and cars. Did I mention to check out the latest Bimmer magazine?

After selling the wife on visiting friends in LA, I visited coupekings shop, and subsequently decided to go with CoupeKing. The experience has been a coupe culture immersion...similar, but different from 2002 cult fanatacism. Note: see above magazine mention....no affiliation.

Between Peter, his son Erik...cameo apearances from Murray and the assorted cast of customer/characters from all of the country dropping in......there is a real-life "coupe reality show going on".

My own, yet to arrive coupe has a Coupeking twin here in NY. It was great fun driving it out west, and I can't wait for it to touch down in NYC.

Dammit, the Jets could have had Leinert...or at least Cutler. Oh well, if I'm not watching the Jets this fall, at least I can look forward to coupe driving.

Good luck,

Chuck, NYC

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is "neither" and option?

Unmolested originals are rare, and finding one in good mechanical and cosmetic condition even rarer. In the case of the e9 a complete, proper restoration costs more than the finished product is worth. Plus, you miss out on the opportunity for nice improvements like a 5 speed or Recaros. In my opinion you don't call it a restoration unless it looks like it originally rolled out the door at Karmann.

I like Paul Cain's approach -- make it what you want, but do it right -- no half-assed mods. I'd classify that as a proper refurbishment.

There are a lot of later model OEM BMW parts that can be bolted to an e9 to improve performance. I'm pondering building a 3.5 liter turbo engine for mine, using e23 745i parts.

Honolulu

Reaction score
here's a thort

mechanical work is MUCH easier, simpler and cheaper than almost any body job. Ergo, find the best looking coupe body you can afford, and diddle with the machanical bits as needed. Once sorted, these cars need very little ongoing mechanical attention.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I spoke with Eric at coupeking and I guess they have a few coupes that could be transformed into something quite special...like Jeff's and Chuck's on their site. I can see the wisdom of refurbishing/updating a coupe rather than restoring it. They also have a malaga tii that was done 10 or so years ago with a balanced and blueprinted motor that they would sell...but they want approx 30K for that. Have any of you seen it?

thanks

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ccr2002 said:
They also have a malaga tii that was done 10 or so years ago with a balanced and blueprinted motor that they would sell...but they want approx 30K for that. Have any of you seen it?

thanks

Don't need to see it. There's not a tii on the planet worth $30k. 2002's are plentiful, there's no reason to pay a premium for one. For $30k I could have my choice of an e12 or e24 Alpina B7S turbo and have $10k left for gas. Or a perfect M6, or a CSL, or any number of relatively rare and truly fast BMW's. If you want an interesting smaller car with some scoot, find a NK 1800 TiSA.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Yup, I've seen it....

The Malaga Tii is certainly impressive. Velcowest makes a worthhile point that 2002's are plentiful. I've seen some awesome 02's here in the East Coast...that have sold in the low $20k to 25K range. Typically private sales that are not advertised, but whose quality is clear, and especially to the beholder.

And that my friend is the key...value and price is ultimately determined by the buyer. Clearly if you wait long enough, you can find quality for less $$ if your timing meets a distressed seller. If on the other hand you're not price sensitive and have to have it now then....

Speaking of timing...Haim Toeg's excellent CSI was on the market for $30K....

Personaly, I couldn't bring myself to pay in that range for an '02..since for the most part I'm over my '02 fixation.

Happy hunting

Chuck

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Toeg's csi

Any idea how to get hold of Toeg to ask about his csi? the old site is down.

I still think taking part in custom building a CS like you did, chuck, would be a blast. I'd like to see Toeg's Csi though.

thanks