A good day!-Vendor to ship Grill Badges & Amélie is home

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The general interest news is that the grill badge vendor has completed the badges and says they will ship tomorrow (Fedex ground - 3-5 days). I will be out of town until Friday but I will do what I can to ship them out to everyone quickly.

On the personal front this was a long awaited day. My coupe, Amélie, came home from the shop. She is a long way from finished but she no longer has any rust in visible places, no little dings or dents, and a fresh coat of paint that reflects like a mirror. For the last 13 months she has been away getting stripped to bare metal and straightened; absolutely no bondo!

This weekend I will install a new headliner, a newly refinished dash, and I'll start putting the trim back on. Monday her wheels go for an acid dip and new paint. If all goes well I'll have the glass man come and help me get the front and back windshields installed next weekend. After that it will be final buffing.

I have new carpet ready but I am going to wait until I can get new floor pans and a new spare tire well welded in. I've also been collecting lots of little goodies to install as time permits.

Many thanks to everyone on the forum for kind support and advice. More than a few of you have greatly assisted with my quest for parts so obscure they make my coupe blush.

Before the make over (not bad but thank heaven for low resolution cameras):
5d804e4cc5b28e50389ab3837ea9ca61.jpg

Who can resist a smile like this?
47d0f62bd9036d12b4bed229e6ed28ad.jpg

Nice a**!
a9f8bdc9f9c81706c2f0ab49e9f930ea.jpg

The first bit of jewelry!
e18359941d45d0bf36e6455cf432d2bf.jpg

And she has nice curves:
eb39870a4c8532894166f58ef0993ede.jpg

A bit of work left to do:
f0e5292a65b29edf3d84d5f75f031cf1.jpg

Ok, maybe a lot of work to do
4be6c9ad2a0b3f7c1ecee02171dd50ec.jpg

Even though my wallet is lighter she's worth it
9f0fbc299ce4f7c6272631e07ddcac2b.jpg

And the finishing touch (some people think I have too much time on my hands) a Bavarian flag motif shift knob
d16d18345d1297b7ba52665cbd6cb8f6.jpg

Misterchinn

Reaction score
um JJ... I think you might have a hard time attaching the grill badge right now...

:wink:

car looks great... looks like you have some work ahead of you. That shift knob is pretty slick. Thanks again for heading up the badges!

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Rest assure, mine will be the first coupe to be stylin' with one! :D

... How else will I know if the mounting kit works before I ship out all 100 of them?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I sent the link to this thread to a good friend in Japan. His comment was rather amusing:

I saw the picture.
In Japan we do not call it as a car.
We call it scrap in Japan.
Ouch!

Anyway the grill badges are in transit and due at my door by Oct 5. The box was weighed at 34.7lb. Being curious by nature I calculated that the badges, being copper based, 2.9" in diameter, must be around 0.15" thick. I used the mass of copper at 8.96gr/mL. I guess we'll see if my math and basic physics are correct.

TodB

Reaction score
Badge wweight

OK, you either have WAAY too much free time on your hands or are incredibly type A if you are figuring out the weight of the badges by the shipping weight :)

Thanks again for all of your help in coordinating this effort. It all came together rather quickly!

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The badge weight is simple 34.7/100 = .347lb = 5.55oz. Getting to the badge thickness is a bit harder. :roll:

I have been worried that the badges would not be of the highest quality. However, based on the shipping weight I am convinced they must be, if nothing else, substantial. It I am correct, they may even pose a risk of breaking our fragile plastic grills!

The tracking status shows they are in Hagerstown, MD, as of Wednesday evening. I expect to have them when I arrive home from Houston tomorrow evening.

mandala

Reaction score
mounting the badges........

Anyone have any suggestions for getting behind the grill in order to install them? I have another one that i have been having problems getting tightened as i have been trying to do it by hand from the outside. Any easy suggestions?
Jeff

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Most grills are held in by only 5 or 6 screws so I would just pull it out. Also there are to access panels under the hood with 3 thumb screws. I'll post some pictures of how I mount grill badge.

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)
Congratulations Fellow D.C. Area Coupester

John you are quickly becoming a trailblazer and great source of coupe info and solutions to proplems. Amélie looks great! Hopefully, I can get by to come see Amélie, this weekend, since the last time I saw her was when she was in the shop.

Again, congrats and keep being innovative with your coupe thoughts. You really got me chomping at the bit to get started on my Coupe Winter projects.