Windshield replacement - my experience

jmackro

Reaction score
A few months ago, the windshield on my 1970 2800 CS coupe spontaneously cracked. When I looked closely, the crack was around an old stone chip - it extended from the lower gasket up about 6". And, it was right in the driver's line of sight.

While my CS is FAR from concours, a cracked windshield was a bit much to live with. So, I began my search for a replacement. I began by calling LaJolla Independent - they said that they had them, but that their price would be the same as from a BMW dealer, and that unless I wanted to drive down to LaJolla (only about an hour from S. Orange Cnty - in retrospect, maybe I should have), it might be simpler to just order one from my local dealer.

I discussed the problem with my local repair shop (Professional Motorcar, here in San Juan Capistrano), and they said "no problemo - we have a great glass installer, and will just get the part from the dealer". A price of about $400 was quoted.

Well, the first glass that arrived was for a different BMW model. Once the dealer realized that we were talking about a 36 year old car, they upped their price quote, and said that none were available in the US. After about a 3 week wait, one arrived from Germany. Price: $547.50. Installation was cheap at $80, and now my CS has an uncracked, unpitted windshield.

The moral of the story is that if you need a windshield, be prepared to shell out $550 bucks and to wait.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Even with insured shipping to the US that would probably beat the dealer price. I'm surprised BMW is asking so much for glass.

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shipping and U.S. Duty/Customs might be a shocker though

If you are in the EU, then Walloth or other suppliers might make the most sense for a windshield. If you are in the U.S., then be prepared for large shipping costs (it is a windshield after all) and a follow-up letter from Uncle Sam asking that you pay the duty charges.

Heck, a drive from San Juan Capistrano to La Jolla is less than an hour. You could have had the glass installer meet you there and driven home that day- but of course my hindsight is 20/20. Which dealer did you get it from and what are the markings on the glass?

Regards,

Glenn in Encinitas

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Re: either that or order it from Walloth Nesch for $190....

[
W&N will not ship to the US, tried to get them to since they have clear glass which the CSL should have, and which is not available in the US from anyone.

quote="Johan"]go where and click on special offers :

http://www.wallothnesch.com/e/frameparts.htm

They've had that offer for some time now.

I just bought one there and had it replaced. I can see again, like getting new glasses :)

Sorry but you got ripped off.....

/Johan[/quote]

jmackro

Reaction score
More about my findings on Windshields

Glenn in Encinitas had asked about the markings on the windshield I recently purchased (for $550!!!)

In the lower corner on the driver's side, it says:

(small roundel)
SEKURIT
Saint Gobain
FIRA / F-HI
DOT 27M582AS1
(squiggly line) D289

So, is St. Gobain the patron saint of windshield installers?

Regarding driving down to LaJolla - when I called them, they said that their price would be the same as the dealer, so my regrets about not driving down there were regarding time, not money. Assuming they had one in stock, I could have avoided the 3 week wait that it took the dealer to get it. I didn't ask my shop which dealer they were dealing with (Irvine BMW near the Spectrum is the closest), but they reported that they were told that there were none in stock in the US, and that we had to wait for the next boat to come over from Germany.

Johan

Site Donor
Reaction score
"W&N will not ship to the US, tried to get them to since they have clear glass which the CSL should have, and which is not available in the US from anyone. "

didn't know that, sorry.

I am in europe and can help if you want to "bounce" a windshield over me.
If anyone is interested I can look into the shipping costs.

/Johan

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just an update to this.

7/27/15

I just asked for a quote from W&N about their glass.

I was interested in an offer they had for all the window glass in green with the darker green band at the top of the windshield.

Glass 528.57 Euro $ 586.17 today.

Shipping fully insured- 349.00 DHL Express. $387.00

Total- $973.17

Now that's 8 pieces of glass.

http://www.wallothnesch.com/colorgl...tscheibe-mit-gruenem-bandfilter-51-20-00.html

Gary

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever seen a coupe with the dark green band, I think it looks cleaner without it.

I understand Chris.
I have considered a band of tint across the top of the windshield to help with heat across my legs.
We live in Hotlanta and I mean hot. 94 today and humidity in the 70's.

Since my car is not stock and wasn't when I bought it I take some liberties
with what I do. It's not a Stance car but will be very tasteful when finished.
This car also gets driven.
Colorado last summer over 4000 miles, Amelia in the spring 600 and The Vintage in May 600 and NJ Ofest this fall, a trip of almost 2000 miles with some side excursions and hopefully Monterey next summer. ???? miles.

It has to be comfortable.
Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, Gary - are you thinking about buying all 8 of these? If so, I may want to get in on this. My windshield has a rock chip in my field of view that has been repaired. I will want to replace it one day.

I understand Chris.
I have considered a band of tint across the top of the windshield to help with heat across my legs.
We live in Hotlanta and I mean hot. 94 today and humidity in the 70's.

Since my car is not stock and wasn't when I bought it I take some liberties
with what I do. It's not a Stance car but will be very tasteful when finished.
This car also gets driven.
Colorado last summer over 4000 miles, Amelia in the spring 600 and The Vintage in May 600 and NJ Ofest this fall, a trip of almost 2000 miles with some side excursions and hopefully Monterey next summer. ???? miles.

It has to be comfortable.
Gary