What is this switch for?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Attached to the very back of the shift linkage, above the driveshaft. Currently not connected. Not the reverse light switch, that's hooked up and operating.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 139

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Looking on the parts catalogue, the reverse switch on a ZF gearbox is situated there. (chap. 23/15 item 16 (31 31 1 352 153 )).
And on a Getrag it's on the left side of the box .(chap. 23/5 item 17 ( 61 31 1 354 071)).
You seem to have a Getrag. Maybe a "souvenir" from a gearbox replacement ??
chris.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought ZF's were gone with the 2800, so mine should have come with a getrag in 72 - which is what is in there now - did they date code the tranny and if so where? How could the back of the linkage (where the old switch is) fit if it werent part of the getrag? Could a ZF linkage fit on a getrag? The whole unit from box to shift lever looks getrag. I also have a pair of wires trimmed off where they enter the existing reverse light harness. Some sort of transition thing? Mysterious.....

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking on the parts catalogue, the reverse switch on a ZF gearbox is situated there. (chap. 23/15 item 16 (31 31 1 352 153 )).
And on a Getrag it's on the left side of the box .(chap. 23/5 item 17 ( 61 31 1 354 071)).
You seem to have a Getrag. Maybe a "souvenir" from a gearbox replacement ??
chris.

So these two switches may be wired to two separate instrument lamps, and voila when you enagage reverse the car tells you what brand of transmission you have! The Getrag vs. ZF indicator...