Technical drawings

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Does anyone have any sort of Drawing,dimension/ that I can look at of the Inner Door sills.
Have looked at the Prices from W&N, looked at the sheet metal bending machine at work, started wondering about my sanity and figured there must be someone out there who has had a similar thought?
Malc??

Malc

Reaction score
Dax,
I repaired the inner sills on the dear old bucket because they were "only" rotten about 1/2 inch up from the rotten floor pans!!
I know they have a channel stamped in them where the lip of the floor pans meet the sills, but I ignored this when I repaired them.
I did look at replacing the whole of the inner sill but it looked a scary job and I was worried that car would fold up anyway!
To actually answer your question, I don't have any drawings.... I kind of winged it when I was repairing the inner sills.... :roll:

And just for fun a picture of what I found when the outer sill came off the RHS. In this case I had to chop off rotten metal on the inner sill to about 1/2 way along the door opening then let in new metal to restore the form of the inner sill especially at the foot of the A-pillar. Luckily the top of the inner sills were in good condition on both sides.

000_0706.jpg

Cheers
Malc

Malc

Reaction score
Naah Dax it wasn't that bad......
Behind the middle sill the inner was rusty but ok as stated before, note the rather pathetic BMW rustproofing wax in evidence!

000_0720.jpg

However at the rear things started to get ugly again.........! :shock:

000_0724.jpg

In this picture you can just make out where I let in new metal to the inner sill before mounting a new centre sill. Yes that's me just starting to reconstruct the a-pillar "foot" the whole lot was then trimmed up to the correct shape later, much later!

100_0113.jpg

More pictures if you need them :wink:
Cheers
Malc

Marco

Site Donor
Reaction score
oops i gona take mine apart and hope it's i a better shape :) but i think it's a mess under neath too :?
if you have more pictures please post them so we can see the progress :D

CookeD

Reaction score
While looking at those pictures, I must ask-- How long did it take for you to down that case of Stella?

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Was that the case of Stella Malc downed before the purchase or the case of Single malt when he got home and started.
Malc, I am seriously living in fear about cutting away some of the rust I can see on mine

Malc

Reaction score
Stella and welding, an interesting if a little dangerous combination...... :D
Were else am I going to keep all the bits I took off the bucket???? :lol:

Dax to be honest if your prepared to take your time, and do one side at a time you should be able to fix the rust in the sills. Take heart as I was deep in uncharted waters when I started and so far so good, if a bit slow
However could this be an excuse for a moral boosting visit, you provide the tools and the beer........ :twisted:

Believe it or not I have been making some progress over the last few months. After rebuilding the inner sills and replacing the middle ones on both sides I have repaired the floor on one side. Basically I grit blast an area, check for holes... the bucket is a bit like a tea bag, a thousand tiny perforations :shock:
Then I paint with zinc rich weld through primer and then patch as required. A bit slow but getting there, you can probably make out the areas I have patched so far.....

Malc
100_1244.jpg

100_1242.jpg

100_1240.jpg

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Malc, absolutely on!!
Let me check with better half as to who is arriving when from Sarf Effrika.
Have three bedrooms with Total of 4 beds spare, think you and Leslie, possibly Senor Black et al should think of a small trip down this side.
Excuse is advice and immoral support.
The best oyster bank and resturant is but a short stagger away , the beer fridge is ample, we spoke about this last year but methinks we should set some time. will email you after i've found out what the ETA's are

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Who is this ass "Mrktlr" that is bumping 2-year old threads to get his post count up?

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
Now that I'm in the thick on my own rust exploration, I'm curious as to how you propped up your car to work on the underneath bits.

Malc, can you please explain how you propped up the car, where you supported it, how you prevented it from folding (braces), etc.? Pictures will also be appreciated.

Thanks!