Alpina paint question

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems there are a lot of 16 Inch Alpina experts here. I am going to send mine out to get refinished and straightened, but was wondering if the black paint on mine is the way they originally came? It would seem to me a lot easier if the paint stayed within the indent of mounting area, rather than the way mine are now, painted about 1/4 " beyond the indent.
alpina.jpg

Tia.

Last edited:

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
this paint scheme below is the only way i've ever seen them. as you described, only in the recessed part.
(alright, i get to use the same copy/paste that i did a few threads down... this is recycling, right?)
495259861_photobucket_94393_.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonder how Jabberjaw got that wrong, or is that a subtle Mod to make the metal area look more delicate?
I think from several feet it does look better with more Black area.

Last edited:

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unless I'm totally wrong, the black paint on the original Alpinas extended about 2mm beyond the recessed circle. I've seen quite a few original Alpinas that have not been refinished like this. With that aside, I like the black contained totally within the recessed circle, just looks better IMO.

Believe the original black paint was in a flat to satin black finish. When I had my Alpinas professionally refinished, I made the mistake of having them repainted in a glossy finish.

Last edited:

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had some Alpina wheels that had never been repainted. And the black satin actually does go about 2mm beyond the indent / recess of the wheel. But I will say, shops do not like to do them that way becuase it is a royal pain.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Black should not extend to the flat surface, it ends at the radius. I consulted several experts in this issue.
Meh, they've been supplied from Alpina both ways, on both the 14 and 16 open wheels, but I've NEVER seen 'em as rough looking as NiCads. If they were my wheels, I'd keep the black inside the radius like HB Chris said (and just like the experts prefer.)

siscobmw

Reaction score
I saw mine , I saw unrestored 7x14s here in Italy,I saw 7x14 made from F.P.S. with only BMW signature(no alpina) made for early 6 series as option in europe, I saw 16" alpinas and 15"-4 stud from my friend E21 alpina, they are the same as one of kwyjibo picture.....
In a old site , made by a bmw addicted,I saw a old picture where they used a kind of a paper circle to cover spokes, and a hole in the middle to spray the center with Satin black paint)...if this site still exists i will post here the link....:-D

Francesco

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well it is half and half in opinion. I am going with the 2mm in Satin. I'll make a Template for the painter to use, minimizing hassle.Wow, Beautiful E9 Jose.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If the center was Satin, was the whole wheel that way back when they were new? The people I have contacted to refinish the wheels say I must choose either Eggshell (Satin) for the whole wheel or Glossy. Were the Silver sections originally Glossy? Is Porsche Silver the closest shade of Silver to the original Alpina finish?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
but Bob, which Porsche silver? artic silver, GT silver, iceland silver, galvano silver, 9a1 silver ... and several more

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If the center is satin, is the whole wheel that way? The people I've asked to refinish the wheels say I must choose either Eggshell (Satin) for the whole wheel or Glossy. Were the Silver sections originally Glossy? Is Porsche Silver the closest shade of Silver to Original Alpina finish?

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd go with satin all over, and you already know I'd keep the black inside the radius.

Already pointed out I've seen the centers painted both ways (inside radius and slightly extended) but I did NOT mention I am sitting on a set of 7x14's that are early manufacture (no alignment holes) and these are not painted at all, centers OR the rest of the rim!

Sounds like you're leaning towards satin with the centers +2mm on the face...

Have NEVER seen original wheels glossy. i.m.o. that looks cheezy, but wheels often wind up over-cheezed compared to the rest of the car.

f.w.i.w.

y.m.m.v.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
but Bob, which Porsche silver? artic silver, GT silver, iceland silver, galvano silver, 9a1 silver ... and several more

Ok Scott, all I need now, more choices!! It feels like I am putting a parts list together to rebuild the Space Shuttle. Buying a fuel pump today tested my character. They wanted $199 for a Carter 4070 locally and $79 on Jegs. Canadian retailers will just never learn. Now I am waiting 5 days for a pump.

Anyone know the Porsche color closest to what Alpina painted them?

DP, you have read me right. I would like to go 2mm over, as I think it makes the wheel look leaner and if Satin is original, that is the way I'd like to go.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i asked Peter (coupeking) what color he paints his alpina style wheels. i have to touch up one of my coupeking wheels. he paints them bmw polaris silver. he also says that wurth's silver is very close (in a spraycan). not sure that perfectly matches what alpina did ...

61porsche

Reaction score
My 2 cents for what it's worth...

There are two colors for Alpina's. Early which is being discussed and a slightly brighter ( larger metallics) for the later closed/ capped w/lock Alpina's. Maybe that's the confusion.

Wurth's wheel paint was formulated for OEM painted german makes. They are gloss cleared after. ( I call this warm silver) There's a kit you can buy. This is what early Porsche's guys use for those owner's that want original.

If it's just gotta be the same, Alpina sells the touch up paint still as it's listed as of 2011. Spray a color card and take it to the local auto paint store for a computer match.

Otherwise get close, be happy, and go for a drive.:cool: