1971 Datzun 240z sells for a jaw-dropping.

dj_efk

Reaction score
Interesting article. I wonder what a similar mileage / provenance CSL would make in similar circumstances then?

Personally, I don't particularly care for this particular Z car, something about the colour combination with the interior - Just doesn't seem that special to me. Each to their own!

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful car...don't remember that green shade, mine was lighter. By 1976, terrible rust problems in the rear fenders. But easy to maintain, everything was easy to get at. SU-style carbs were flawless.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I almost bought a decent California 240-z about 10 years ago. As I recall I was looking at about $4500 or so. There were two I was tracking,an Orange 72' and a Blue one. I most like the Lime Green/ Lemon Z's. A 71' 240-Z was my first car in 1978. I loved it, but always knew that the interior was pretty damn cheap, the body structure was pretty flimsy, etc. The motor was always great though. Anyway, I thought I'd love one, but it would always feel like it was not a great car (fun car, yes). I remember when I owned my rusty 240-Z test driving a 2002 BMW on a used car lot and being very, very impressed when I hit a pot hole that it didn't feel like it would break in two. $310K for that car is purely a function of an employee in a successful tech business who wants to buy something "special" I'd invest big bucks in a Japanese Fairlady Z432 rather than that. I'm glad I find a $900 82' Yamaha my treasure. Crazy pricing into unobtainium really makes me dislike collecting cars, because of the folks attracted and how you must worry about them. I sold my 240-Z in 81' and got into Corvairs. Just sold my Corvair for peanuts. The Z rusted into oblivion by 84' I'd guess.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I almost bought a decent California 240-z about 10 years ago. As I recall I was looking at about $4500 or so. There were two I was tracking,an Orange 72' and a Blue one. I most like the Lime Green/ Lemon Z's. A 71' 240-Z was my first car in 1978. I loved it, but always knew that the interior was pretty damn cheap, the body structure was pretty flimsy, etc. The motor was always great though. Anyway, I thought I'd love one, but it would always feel like it was not a great car (fun car, yes). I remember when I owned my rusty 240-Z test driving a 2002 BMW on a used car lot and being very, very impressed when I hit a pot hole that it didn't feel like it would break in two. $310K for that car is purely a function of an employee in a successful tech business who wants to buy something "special" I'd invest big bucks in a Japanese Fairlady Z432 rather than that. I'm glad I find a $900 82' Yamaha my treasure. Crazy pricing into unobtainium really makes me dislike collecting cars, because of the folks attracted and how you must worry about them. I sold my 240-Z in 81' and got into Corvairs. Just sold my Corvair for peanuts. The Z rusted into oblivion by 84' I'd guess.
I also owned a Corvair, then a BMW 1600, then a 240Z...some would say there's a connection here.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
More money than brains

I disagree. It is a 20K mile mint example of a very collectible car that has seen a steady increase in value. The next generation of wealthy car collectors with an empty nest will have grown up modifying Japanese cars.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That reminds me of Nigel Tuffnel's favourite guitar...."Don't even look at it!"