33rd Techno-Classica Essen - April 12-16, 2023

Christoph

Reaction score
This is what the organisers say: "The TECHNO-CLASSICA is throwing open its doors in Essen for the 33rd time from 12 to 16 April 2023. The show is regarded as the role model for all oldtimer fairs and enjoys a unique international reputation. This year, organiser S.I.H.A. is again anticipating around 1,250 exhibitors from more than 30 countries. Manufacturers, dealers and clubs will contribute more than 2,700 collectors’ automobiles to TECHNO-CLASSICA."

Not exactly modest. But well, in 2019, last year before the plague, attendance were 190000.

The BMW Classic & Type Club Section will again put up a presentation in Hall 6. BMW themselves choose not to partake but give friendly and generous support to the community. These BMW Clubs will show their cars on our stand: Alpina-Gemeinschaft, BMW 02 Club, BMW 2002 turbo Club, BMW 3er Club (E21/E30), BMW 3er Club E36 / E46, BMW Club 5er E12 und E28, BMW 5er E34 IG, BMW 8-Series Club, BMW Baur TC Club, BMW Coupé-Club, BMW CSL Owners Club, BMW E3 Club, BMW Z1 Club, BMW Z3 roadster Club, BMW Z8 Club.

I'd like to invite you, on behalf of the BMW E3 Club and all others, to join us in Essen and take a look at Europe's largest classic car fair, and not the most boring. Note that a one day visit is never enough. Most of you are in America, I'm aware of that. However some may happen to be in Germany or the Netherlands at the time or even choose to come over for the event. You would not be the first.

Henny

Reaction score
Hi Christoph,

Been there long time ago (early 90ties), really impressive show. It's my plan to visit the show on friday the 14th. Not with my E9, but driving my E39.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Essen isn't the "City of Light" which is where Retromobile is and it isn't as quaint or full of quirky French vibe like Retromobile but it has the goods! Has good youngtimer content as well and it rocks! Two days doesn't cover it.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is what the organisers say: "The TECHNO-CLASSICA is throwing open its doors in Essen for the 33rd time from 12 to 16 April 2023. The show is regarded as the role model for all oldtimer fairs and enjoys a unique international reputation. This year, organiser S.I.H.A. is again anticipating around 1,250 exhibitors from more than 30 countries. Manufacturers, dealers and clubs will contribute more than 2,700 collectors’ automobiles to TECHNO-CLASSICA."

Not exactly modest. But well, in 2019, last year before the plague, attendance were 190000.

The BMW Classic & Type Club Section will again put up a presentation in Hall 6. BMW themselves choose not to partake but give friendly and generous support to the community. These BMW Clubs will show their cars on our stand: Alpina-Gemeinschaft, BMW 02 Club, BMW 2002 turbo Club, BMW 3er Club (E21/E30), BMW 3er Club E36 / E46, BMW Club 5er E12 und E28, BMW 5er E34 IG, BMW 8-Series Club, BMW Baur TC Club, BMW Coupé-Club, BMW CSL Owners Club, BMW E3 Club, BMW Z1 Club, BMW Z3 roadster Club, BMW Z8 Club.

I'd like to invite you, on behalf of the BMW E3 Club and all others, to join us in Essen and take a look at Europe's largest classic car fair, and not the most boring. Note that a one day visit is never enough. Most of you are in America, I'm aware of that. However some may happen to be in Germany or the Netherlands at the time or even choose to come over for the event. You would not be the first.

thank you, i have been there several times

what surprises me, is that as ususal while mercedes has its own enormous hall, together with their clubs, bmw " The BMW Classic & Type Club Section will again put up a presentation in Hall 6. BMW themselves choose not to partake but give friendly and generous support to the community. These BMW Clubs will show their cars on our stand: Alpina-Gemeinschaft, BMW 02 Club, BMW 2002 turbo Club, BMW 3er Club (E21/E30), BMW 3er Club E36 / E46, BMW Club 5er E12 und E28, BMW 5er E34 IG, BMW 8-Series Club, BMW Baur TC Club, BMW Coupé-Club, BMW CSL Owners Club, BMW E3 Club, BMW Z1 Club, BMW Z3 roadster Club, BMW Z8 Club. "

i am not feeling enough support from bmw ....again

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score

You know that I will see you there!

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One of these years - I need to get to Germany to see this....

Christoph

Reaction score
To everyone considering next year: the organiser announces the 2024 show for April 3-7.

To everyone considering this year: I feel very pleased. Our booth will be as tiny as us BMW Clubs can afford though roomy enough for eleven cars, a coffee machine and some space to look at the cars from every angle. To date, we will present, amongst others, a 1970 2500 and a 1969 2800 CS, very unusual to have two very early cars side by side. And of course, on its 50th anniversary, a 2002 turbo.

Criticising the company: this is fruitless. Most of us wish BMW would do like some other manufacturers. This year, Daimler-Benz and Volkswagen will be back which is good because it adds to the whole event. Both spend large sums for the TC, BMW could not, and never wanted to, compete against them. So it is better to have a small BMW Clubs booth (with some works support) than a small BMW works booth. The first is easily understandable for the visitors as the clubs run on a limited budget. The second would probably be laughed at and has been in the past.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
To everyone considering next year: the organiser announces the 2024 show for April 3-7.

To everyone considering this year: I feel very pleased. Our booth will be as tiny as us BMW Clubs can afford though roomy enough for eleven cars, a coffee machine and some space to look at the cars from every angle. To date, we will present, amongst others, a 1970 2500 and a 1969 2800 CS, very unusual to have two very early cars side by side. And of course, on its 50th anniversary, a 2002 turbo.

Criticising the company: this is fruitless. Most of us wish BMW would do like some other manufacturers. This year, Daimler-Benz and Volkswagen will be back which is good because it adds to the whole event. Both spend large sums for the TC, BMW could not, and never wanted to, compete against them. So it is better to have a small BMW Clubs booth (with some works support) than a small BMW works booth. The first is easily understandable for the visitors as the clubs run on a limited budget. The second would probably be laughed at and has been in the past.

You are right, if only bmw could make some parts and have some stock…

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I attended TC on Friday and Saturday. I did not miss the BMW Classic crew. Just missed connecting with Christoph. Amazing show for enthusiasts and restorers. This is the bmw clubs booth. Very friendly bunch. I’ll post more news later.

Found this mfgr making good 2002 door panels. I’ve started a conversation with them on doing an E9 version
8056F28C-2771-4E9E-820C-649ABF45FC48.jpeg

Attachments

• CCC884B9-9848-4F72-A034-AC7942058EC6.jpeg
    CCC884B9-9848-4F72-A034-AC7942058EC6.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 62

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A friend sent three photos of a Colorado Orange? "Diana." With a SOLD sign on the windshield!!! Anyone know about that car. One of 12 and a bit rare!!

PS: BMW doesn't give a Rat's Arse about us.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
A friend sent three photos of a Colorado Orange? "Diana." With a SOLD sign on the windshield!!! Anyone know about that car. One of 12 and a bit rare!!

PS: BMW doesn't give a Rat's Arse about us.

For all their talk of their racing history and pedigree when they foist another buck-toothed, overweight, travesty of design (I'm looking at you M4 CSL) on the market...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For all their talk of their racing history and pedigree when they foist another buck-toothed, overweight, travesty of design (I'm looking at you M4 CSL) on the market...
It is a different company now than then for sure.