AC Compressor

vanak60

Reaction score
Hi All! My compressor is shut and need to replace it. I've been searching online to find a suitable replacement. Are there any compressors that ya'all recommend I could look it? Thanks

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Most of us have jettisoned the York "boat anchor" compressors in favor of something smaller and more efficient. I went with a kit from ICE Auto Air. I kept R12, so needed the ICE kit to have the R12 fittings, and I needed custom hoses.

I worked with a mechanic with the proper tools to fill the system for me; he lives in Oakton - very close to Reston.

Jahan

Reaction score
Hi: I am in Vienna too & plan on installing anew AC system. I like to discuss it with you.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Jahan -- We should find a time to catch up. Unfortunately, I can't make Katie's this weekend as I am booked. Maybe next weekend?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A friend who is a 'qualified' AC Technician and I rebuilt my system last summer. Blows 33 degree air with the engine at idle and ambient temps in the high 80's. I used Sanden compressor (authentic, not clone) and new condenser. Also, a new receiver dryer that fits in the '74 mount location and has a sight glass (found that on a bus AC mtls site). We used all new hoses (R134A quality), and new connections to all components. The only OE parts were those from the inlet copper pipe connector through the evaporator and back through the outlet copper connector. Installed R12, as in his experience with Porsche 928's over the past 15 years, the 134A conversions never cooled as well as R12 in those cars. Since our system was designed for R-12, we felt it best to maintain that refrigerant gas (oh yes, I had a container with about 12 lbs of R12 also).

I'm away for nearly 3 weeks, and don't have access to my files. IF you want a write-up I made of materials, supplies, sources, and a bunch of pix, please send me a Private Message after 5/22.

Gary

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You can still get R12? Must be expensive as heck.

Aren't all new cars using R134? Pretty sure they cool enough.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can get r-12 for $15 a can all day on craigslist. For our cars it cools better and doesnt leak as fast as r-134. I havent added any in 6 years when i redid my system.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can get r-12 for $15 a can all day on craigslist. For our cars it cools better and doesnt leak as fast as r-134. I havent added any in 6 years when i redid my system.
Steve,

i just looked at craigslist in NOLA, and the going rate is now 35 down there. if you can still find some for 15 to 20 ... please bring me some. i'm going to have my a/c redone wien the new engine goes in

vanak60

Reaction score
upload_2017-7-1_21-13-2.png
This is the picture of the AC Compressor that I got. It's a BOSCH. Anything you guys recommend that could ideally be a direct fit?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Vanak - when you say direct fit, do you mean you want an old single piston pump similar to the one originally installed in your car? When compared to a newer compressor, they are much heavier, require far more torque to turn and thus are a big drain on the engine, and require a vibration damper in the system because of the pulses caused by a single piston design. Most of us have put up with sourcing new brackets and hoses in order to upgrade the compressor because the newer technology is so much better.

If you really want an original, post in the parts section, someone here probably has one they would part with cheap.