BAT Project offering

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's Kai Xing's car. Good guy. He's pretty active in BMW stuff; owns an e24 and an e39 and is one of the organizers of Sharkfest. Before I bought my car, I attended Sharkfest a couple of times looking to connect with sellers and whatnot. I remember he was pretty disappointed to find out how rusty the car was after he bought it. And he bought it before child number 2 came along. Parts alone are worth the bid price at this point.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Parts alone are worth the bid price at this point.

I completely agree. Not that I would want anyone to part it out, but I'd say you have about $6,000+ there. That swag is based on my CSI parts car. The only body part that I've sold is the trunk and I'm at just around $3,400 in sales. I'm about $3,000 actually but I have another $1,000 in parts on hold, and I'm keeping the Dash, Steering column, full lock set, seats (for now), LSD, Rear disks, Rear bumper, Front Struts, sway bars, exhaust, cylinder head, rear fog, all aluminum/chrome, and front / rear windscreen. That's not everything but it speaks to the value of a CSI. The D-Jet parts alone are worth around $1,000. The LSD and rear disk setup is another $1,500+. My car had AC which helped a lot, but this car has lots of new body panels.

I wouldn't confuse parts value with car value though unless you are planning to part it out. This looks like a good starting point for a motivated restorer. We have countless threads going that show that it can be done. The math only adds up if you do all the work yourself and do a 'decent' job, or if you have it done very well and actually finish.

Vern

Reaction score
The first run of CSi cars was February of 1972. That was the only month CSis were made that year.

Edit: A picture of the VIN stamp on the firewall would be nice

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Vern - there is a picture of the VIN Stamp in the thread; it says the car is a 3.0CS. Kai addressed this, and has posted an email from BMW Group Archiv stating that the car is a CSI manufactured in October, 1971. And we have 21 1971 CSIs in the e9-Driven archives.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Vern - there is a picture of the VIN Stamp in the thread; it says the car is a 3.0CS. Kai addressed this, and has posted an email from BMW Group Archiv stating that the car is a CSI manufactured in October, 1971. And we have 21 1971 CSIs in the e9-Driven archives.

The VIN plates all say 3.0 CS, including the 2.5 CS and the 3.0 CSL.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Winning bidder is apparently nowhere to be found. Seller is looking for him. Must have been an artificial bid to raise price which I see quite a bit of on BAT. Hard to trust the numbers that these cars supposedly change hands for if they even do. Alot of comments on dealers bidding up each others cars to artificially raise the prices.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seller is a BMW enthusiast and seemed very straight forward guy. There were several rather high bidders. (Not including me) And one fellow who still wanted to bid at end but missed the cutoff. I've not processed this yet. But if more people are thinking of car (e9 in general or CSI) like old Porsches might make more sense.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when all this shakes out we can find out from Kai what he got for the stuff. And he's not a dealer, he's just a BMW guy with too many cars, like lots of us.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the dealer cars are subject to some games on BAT... and of course, just like Ebay, you have sellers with friends helping to keep bidding up. I still can't make sense of this car and the bidding considering another one actually sold on Ebay for 21K that was all there and in a more desirable color (IMO). But who knows, we just saw a non-original 2002 resto-rod go for over 100k and the BIG bumper / modified coupe in Denver brought all the money too?

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BAT = Bring A Trailer = a once cool little website that you would tell people about and they'd say huh, I don't get it?

Last edited: