Beltline Trim Install and Rust Prevention

Bav3.5

Reaction score
When installing the beltline trim, what is the best method to prevent the typical rust that forms where the mounting holes in the body are? A dab a silicon glue to seal out water? Any other suggestions so that rust does form/appear in the future?

(background: my bavaria unfortunately got mildly re-ended at the end of December, and because the quarter panel had to be refinished due to the accident, I had all the paint flaws, rust, etc taken care of from front to back on both sides. Therefore, I'll be reinstalling the plastic clips and the belt trim shortly.)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like poor prep work from the last paint job. Since paint will be in the molding holes I would leave it at that.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was taught to put a small o-ring between the fastener clip and the car. It seals and also pushes the clip it out a mm or so to allow the trim to snap on. Without an o-ring, my new trim would snap on and then pop off cause the clip on the fastener didn't stick out enough.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tim I'm pretty sure there are clips that come with those o rings for the belt trim. I know for sure the C pillar trim clips which are thinner have them. I have some leftovers, should only need four of those, six at most. I will check and see what I have and give you what I have left over. It doesn't hurt to use ones with the o ring, let's put it that way. How soon do you need them? I'll check what I have later today.

Bav3.5

Reaction score
Just for some additional information, the left clip is an aftermarket piece available at Mesa Performance or Pelican, which comes with the thin gasket pictured. The right clip is a BMW piece directly sourced from the dealer, which does not come with a gasket. Any of the smallest o-rings I could find available at local hardware stores were a bit thicker than the gasket pictured.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Carl Nelson sells the spacers designed by Paul Cain.