BMW 3.0CS E9 from 1975, Belgium

JensVdb

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted an update, but today I found some time. :)
When the car was stripped I took it for sandblasting. Only the bottom and the inside were blasted to protect body panels from deformations.

IMG_1712_zpsfrcepmrd.jpg

The bodywork was in a pretty bad shape. Worse then I thought...
Seems to be the previous owner did some welding himself. And he probably wasn't the best welding guru at all... I bet it was the first time he had a welding pistol in his hands...

But hey, at least now I know what I am coping with and after all when the bodywork will be finished I know everything will be ok.
I will not have to fear for hidden rust or weak spots anymore.

IMG_1755_zpswfjckzp8.jpg

IMG_1756_zpsr6sjv2o5.jpg

JensVdb

Reaction score
Since the body of the car is at the body shop I started dismantling the front and rear subframe.
It would be nice when the car comes back from the body shop that I can put it back on its wheels.

IMG_1811_zps8baxpojj.jpg

IMG_1917_zpsoq64dilk.jpg

IMG_2389_zpss4tukhuh.jpg

Unbelievable how much tar and dirt all those parts were covered with!
After cleaning up the most of it, it was time to take them for sandblasting.
And if I was happy with the results... Finally some clean parts...

IMG_3400_zpsk96jqtjw.jpg

IMG_3282_zpsnhk6rh4v.jpg

IMG_3284_zpso2asj4x3.jpg

As pretty as they were in bare metal, they had to be powder-coated otherwise they wouldn't last long.

IMG_4236_zpsowmgm1q3.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsnsrdjnjq.jpg

JensVdb

Reaction score
Since I cannot put these parts back together with dirty/rusty bolts and nuts I decided to yellow passivate them.

IMG_4732_zpsle6tyzns.jpg

IMG_4731_zpsqejorbpa.jpg

Sandblasting to make sure all dirt and rust is gone

IMG_4783_zpskekuxy5u.jpg

IMG_4772_zps7bkdecwa.jpg

655DE789-6DAF-4DBE-A4D0-E879EB9C605F_zpsxcwnkfjf.jpg

Results

IMG_5175_zpsjpr0kejr.jpg

IMG_5165_zpsvtotqgln.jpg

IMG_5185_zpsqbxnveqd.jpg

Philippe db

Reaction score
Keep up the good work Jens. Looks like you're really well organized in your approach.

Are you planning to remove the front fenders. probably the only way to really see what the condition of the A pillars is.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks fantastic! As Philippe asked, are you going to remove the front fenders? I debated for quite some time with myself whether to remove or not when I had my shell in the same stage, everything looked decent from what I could tell when they were still on but removing them was a very good decision.

Keep up the phenomenal work! The worst thing with starting with the suspension and then happen to do a nut and bolt restoration of said suspension, is that it is hard not to continue at the same level with the rest of the car, escalates quickly, ask me how I know... ;) (but maybe that is where the bar is set from the start?)

Cheers,

JensVdb

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Thrust me, I will need you guys/this forum to support me while reassembling the car.
I have to say the update of the forum is great and I really like the atmosphere here.

Front fenders were removed and the A pillars are already rebuilt where necessary, same for the rockers.
Let's hope everything finishes well... Can't wait myself to see the final result of the bodywork.

Like I said before there is no rush to finish the car. I would like to continue at the same level with the rest of the car but everyone/everything has his/its limits of-course... I will take it step by step.
Lets just hope I don't have to many setbacks while reassembling the car.

I know it will need a lot of money to restore the car back to its old glory and people will say "Hey, why didn't you just bought a nice Coupé for 30-40K?".
Well who knows how rusty those A pillars are under that nice glossy paint on the outside?

Some people like projects, other ones like to buy things and enjoy/drive it right away...
I'm the project guy who likes to learn along the way and like to see the evolution of how it was and how it is now...

I just know if I ever will be able to finish and drive this car, I will be the happiest guy on earth! :)

Keep up the good work Jens. Looks like you're really well organized in your approach.

Are you planning to remove the front fenders. probably the only way to really see what the condition of the A pillars is.

Looks fantastic! As Philippe asked, are you going to remove the front fenders? I debated for quite some time with myself whether to remove or not when I had my shell in the same stage, everything looked decent from what I could tell when they were still on but removing them was a very good decision.

Keep up the phenomenal work! The worst thing with starting with the suspension and then happen to do a nut and bolt restoration of said suspension, is that it is hard not to continue at the same level with the rest of the car, escalates quickly, ask me how I know... ;) (but maybe that is where the bar is set from the start?)

Cheers,

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Proficiat, Jens! Zeer prettig!

I have to ask: Do you work in the auto business? You said at the beginning that you "don't have any experience in auto restoration" but you are going at it like a pro. That shop you have looks really well equipped for a weekend warrior.

JensVdb

Reaction score
No I'am not in the auto buisiness. My brother in law sells second hand cars for the living.
The shop were the coupe was dismanteld is from a good friend of mine, also a member on this forum here. Unfortunately he sold his coupé some time ago.

I owe them a lot because without them my dream would be a lot more difficult to achieve...!

Proficiat, Jens! Zeer prettig!

I have to ask: Do you work in the auto business? You said at the beginning that you "don't have any experience in auto restoration" but you are going at it like a pro. That shop you have looks really well equipped for a weekend warrior.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No I'am not in the auto buisiness. My brother in law sells second hand cars for the living.
The shop were the coupe was dismanteld is from a good friend of mine, also a member on this forum here. Unfortunately he sold his coupé some time ago.

I owe them a lot because without them my dream would be a lot more difficult to achieve...!
If only Hans and Franz had built our coupes this way originally. Actually, you a doing a much better job. Lovely. Steve

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
First up, that's not cardboard, it's a restorer's mattress. Next comment, My first e9 was in a similar state and configuration, being an automatic and not knowing what was under the"paint". I stripped the body at a blasters and uncovered lots of small accident history which I addressed while in bare metal stage. That's the good thing about starting where you are now. This is a perfect time for a 5-speed conversion me thinks, what was the original color? Keep chipping away, looks like a great project!!

-Somehow the above comment got put in the wrong chronological order of your build-

So I'll add that you are doing a fantastic over-the-top job and once again I am humbled (to the point of tears) by yet another forum members' capabilities!!

Last edited:

JensVdb

Reaction score
Thanks Peter!

I debated with myself some time whether to keep the car factory original or not, but I decided to rebuild the car like I like them the most..
The original color of the car was "Granat rot" but I'm more a fan of the Polaris silver when it comes to the coupé.
I also hated the look of an automatic stick in the interior and I read a lot about the 5-speed transmissions. If I can find a good one at a reasonable price, a 5-speed it will be. For the interior part I am in love with the CSL interior. (Buckets, petri,..) But that is future music at the moment. :)

First up, that's not cardboard, it's a restorer's mattress. Next comment, My first e9 was in a similar state and configuration, being an automatic and not knowing what was under the"paint". I stripped the body at a blasters and uncovered lots of small accident history which I addressed while in bare metal stage. That's the good thing about starting where you are now. This is a perfect time for a 5-speed conversion me thinks, what was the original color? Keep chipping away, looks like a great project!!

-Somehow the above comment got put in the wrong chronological order of your build-

So I'll add that you are doing a fantastic over-the-top job and once again I am humbled (to the point of tears) by yet another forum members' capabilities!!

JensVdb

Reaction score
Some time has past and a lot of work has been done. Time for an update me think... :)
I have to say I was quite afraid to show the condition of the car at first. But since I've seen the outcome of the bodywork, I'm actually proud of saving another E9 coupe.
The people of the body-shop did an amazing job on this one in my opinion.

Pictures speak louder than words...

Let start with the A pillars (or what was left of them)...

Right Side:

Foto%201_zpsiqhnfxjs.jpg

Foto%202_zps0msjjwhw.jpg

Foto%203_zpstudsvzz8.jpg

Foto%204_zpsmbmv7tab.jpg

Foto%205_zpsigw11czh.jpg

Foto%206_zpstpjmxgxs.jpg

Foto%207_zpshg9vqxib.jpg

Foto%208_zpsxvxzlofl.jpg

Foto%209_zps9cl72uz5.jpg

Left Side:

Foto%201_zpszp2ibduo.jpg

Foto%202_zpshywpbrw9.jpg

Foto%203_zpsht5kdiyu.jpg

Foto%204_zpseahzrs6u.jpg

JensVdb

Reaction score
Since I still have a ton of pictures and I am getting tired of uploading, I will just upload the latest ones where the car is almost ready for painting... :)

Foto%201_zpsympknbaq.jpg

Foto%202_zpswwojqx2n.jpg

Foto%203_zpsg1oiocnj.jpg

Foto%204_zpstd7rtyp9.jpg

Foto%205_zpsmkmselqi.jpg

Foto%206_zpsdorf9sgn.jpg

Foto%207_zpsejlv6hcb.jpg

Foto%208_zpsucz0hk6b.jpg

Foto%209_zpseirxgdet.jpg

Foto%2010_zps9lnpjffl.jpg

Foto%2011_zpswqskot6n.jpg

Foto%2012_zpsmsiqjjyx.jpg

Foto%2013_zpsc27v3ff0.jpg

Foto%2014_zpsy8nsdjde.jpg

DustyM

Reaction score
Some lovely metal work there, looking great.

Can I ask where you bought the full length floor pans?

Foto%207_zpsai9kktlh.jpg