Choke Flap Adjustment

E3_UK

Reaction score
Per my previous post, I have now adjusted the cold start revs down to an acceptable level. One thing I noticed however was that with the pedal fully depressed, the choke flaps are not both in the same position. I have the factory manual and the Zenith manual (thanks Steve) but in layman's terms what is the procedure for setting the flap position, and is it that critical ?. I would say that on choke the engine runs pretty well, maybe a little hood shake but not enough to worry about not become involved in a carb tear down if avoidable.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
look on page 8 of the Zenith Carb Manual, it shows how to loosen the bi-metallic tensioner housing and adjust the chokes. Do this cold and then watch it warm up so they open fully also, preferably at the same rate.

E3_UK

Reaction score
Thanks Steve. Will this alter the cold start engine speed again ?.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
no it shouldnt. did you sync the carbs at idle and fast idle? This may explain the hood shake

E3_UK

Reaction score
Not accurately. I've just ordered a Carbmate so will sync them properly soon, might need some hints on this as well, despite reading your previous posts on the subject. So does it really matter that the choke flaps are in different positions ?.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Its more important that they fully open when warm. They don't have to be exactly the same when cold as long as they are close and providing venturi closure. They dont stay closed very long

Not accurately. I've just ordered a Carbmate so will sync them properly soon, might need some hints on this as well, despite reading your previous posts on the subject. So does it really matter that the choke flaps are in different positions ?.