CSL Re-Birth - Sydney

Discussion in 'E9 Projects & Restorations' started by Atavistic, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Atavistic

Atavistic Member Site Donor $$

Thanks Mal.
    I would really welcome that - if yours is original it might be helpful for the restorers to inspect it if you are up for a drive and look at the car in its current state?
    I researched various options for the engine. The best I could find locally was a well regarded engineer in Artarmon that had rebuilt two e9 engines and was quoting 25-30K. When my driver's side window got stuck I observed him stab a screw driver through the inspection hole in a failed attempt to fix the problem. We then rotated the switches to find the switch had failed - so he failed the interview!
    I then flew it to Korman's in the US (who look after a lot of e9 engines, both street and racing) with a request to use their best engineer to restore to original on the outside with an extra 20HP from a better cam and lighter flywheel.
    There was a time I was worried that this decision would hold up the restoration - what little did I know :)

2. Bmachine

Bmachine Active Member Site Donor $

???

I should not read this forum after my dinner bottle of cabernet. I almost thought you wrote 25-30k for an e9 engine. Ha. Silly me...

Wait...

3. Atavistic

Maybe AUD vs USD?
    Anyway, the solution was somewhat less in both currencies. Hope I didnt spoil your dinner!

Here is the gearbox.It seems they were commonly painted with silver paint. The gearbox was refurbed a few thousand KMs ago so we dismantled to lightly strip the housing without damage - we will likely recoat in a matt clear coat unless others suggest otherwise?

IMG_3902.JPG IMG_3903.JPG IMG_3904.JPG

Bmachine likes this.
  4. Mal CSL 3.0

Mal CSL 3.0 Member

The perfectly boxed up engine looks amazing. Sounds like it was worth sending to the US where they do things properly and and were fairer on the price.
    Sure I would be interested to take a look at your build some time and can bring mine along. My CSL is 99% stock, matching numbers, origional trans, interior etc. Just an engine upgrade to the 21 century via a Haltech to improve reliability and make it run smoother.. Also a few period body mods to make it go a bit faster :) - 16" wheels, front valance and bonnet wind splits.
    BTW did you import your CSL yourself? or was it the same silver CSL that sold a few years ago in North Sydney?

5. Atavistic

Great - your car sounds perfect, with just the right refinements which I am tempted to copy. Will PM you so we can hook up sooner rather than later.

The car was privately imported after some UK due diligence by a classic car collector in Melbourne, who onsold it to me via The Healey Factory(THF). Notably, the car was the subject of a magazine review in the UK, here: https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/feature-cars/1110/bmw-30-csl-(1973)-review. I have since found an original steering wheel from another local CSL and will be selling the light weight Momo pictured in the article. (Ping me if anyone is interested). Note the front air dam is unusual, the distinctive front air dam holes (I presume in racing guise they feed cool air to the brakes?) were not punched out, any history/hypotheses on why they were filled in would be welcome.
    I wonder if the publicity helped the UK sale price? The article wasn't mentioned by THF, who sold it on commission, as a complete, adequately running, but unremarkable example in need of some love, which it is now well and truly getting.