door brake (break)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am curious about the e12 rear door unit ... its an inch shorter +/- ... for a passenger door that might not be the end of the world to keep passengers from opening the door into somebody else. or i wonder if you could put the arm from an e9 brake in it and have it work. i have 2 or 3 e9 arms that are straight.

my presumption is the MB part is still a cheaper approach.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have an e24 door brake on mine, it fits well, but I needed to put slightly larger holes in the flanges on the car so the pin would not rattle around. Then I drilled a hole in the arm behind the spring and put in a bolt and nut so the door would not open too far. You can't tell how much "engineering" went into the set up unless you remove it from the car and it does work perfectly. An e28 brake might work as well (I have lots of those). And Rob calls himself the "hack" Ha!

restart

Reaction score
I neglected to mention
The e12 brake is about 92mm at second stop.
How long is the stock arm?

I just can't see how the 115mm e21 position doesn't hit the fender.

I realize some of you have spent a lot of money already and need to save the bucks. Haha...,

Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
Here is my brakes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so is the dimension of the case / spring the same? if it is just the arm that is different i might buy a couple of e12 rears and swap the arms out. after cleaning / greasing the arm + rollers

restart

Reaction score
Let's see, it would be very German of BMW to use up surplus E9 arms on the e12s :)

It does look like he armhas been shortened, if you look closely at the center of the arm
EDIT...when I squint harder I see that weld line is just where the ends of the shaped arm/band are welded together. Not a cut and shorten job.

Last edited: