dQ went for 14" alpinas too

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i know, i know, i said i would never do this
i said there were no more beautiful wheels than the original ones...the chromed center cap and so on
they were so cool !
P6095637.jpg

...they were,...but

things change !

P9305730.jpg

P9305734.jpg

P9305740.jpg

P9305736.jpg

P9305717.jpg

P9305710.jpg

P9305703.jpg

....not well restored, only cleaned and home painted, not very professional, but they look good, so today a fresh and sunny autumm sunday a visit to the coast and then back into the forest !;)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sacrilege!!

They look very nice. Did you throw the old ones out? I heard the Sultan Of Brunei changed the whole fleet of Rolls Royce over to a newer design rim and threw the old ones into the Sea.

Your Coupe looks splendid. I know SteveHose is after a set of 14's. When I get my Coupe on the road I'd like to sample the driving characteristics of 14's vs the 16's I have now.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sacrilege!!

They look very nice. Did you throw the old ones out? I heard the Sultan Of Brunei changed the whole fleet of Rolls Royce over to a newer design rim and threw the old ones into the Sea.

Your Coupe looks splendid. I know SteveHose is after a set of 14's. When I get my Coupe on the road I'd like to sample the driving characteristics of 14's vs the 16's I have now.

throw them away ?
yeah, you can see me by the sea, the pics had been taken after throwing the rims down the hill to the sea !

well i did not change the size, so both were/are 14", but the problem are the tyres ! the original rims were mounted with vredestein sprint classic, and these on the alpinas are vredestein hi-track

nothing to do, these ones are so bad ! the cornering at high speed is dangerous, i will trow out not the rims but the tyres !

regards

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love it. When I get my webers working and my cylinder head rebuilt and put back on these are next for me.

RonP

Reaction score
The 14" Alpina wheels are still available from BMW! I ordered a brand new one for the CSL I restored. The wheels on dQ's car are late model e12 wheels. Still a 20 spoke alloy like the Alpina wheels, but a little less of a "dish". Car is stunning as well!

Beemer70

Reaction score
Original rims make the car look girlie.. looks way better with the alpinas!!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 14" Alpina wheels are still available from BMW! I ordered a brand new one for the CSL I restored. The wheels on dQ's car are late model e12 wheels. Still a 20 spoke alloy like the Alpina wheels, but a little less of a "dish". Car is stunning as well!

Remember what that wheel cost?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
they are not new, but neither is the coupe !

by the way, Ron, what do the original e9 14" alpinas look like ?

i can not understand the difference, i can count 20 or 21 spokes, but "less dish" ? what does that mean ?

thanks

edited, photo from the photo gallery added

are these original e9 alpinas in 14" ?

michael_balaban5_copy.jpg

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it was right around $325.00, my cost. I get 10% over dealer cost from my source.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Wish the Michelins were priced accordingly.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Here is a close up of the correct Alpina wheel with the CSL correct Michelin XWX

IMG_1342-Copy_zps59e0a83d.jpg

What kind of nuts ist that?

Well, an Alpina 7x14 in wheel shold have the correct hub cap AND chromed nuts to be 100%.

The BMW 7x14 in wheel made by FPS (same design and ET) is correct if paired with the BMW hub cap (and chromed nuts)

RonP

Reaction score
What kind of nuts ist that?

Well, an Alpina 7x14 in wheel shold have the correct hub cap AND chromed nuts to be 100%.

The BMW 7x14 in wheel made by FPS (same design and ET) is correct if paired with the BMW hub cap (and chromed nuts)

They do have the correct nuts and hubs now. Those are what BMW sent me as the correct parts!!! Just like the door brakes they say work on an e9...AND DON"T!!!

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
The correct/original Alpina 14x7 wheels were without cut-outs and exclusive to the CSL cars and available as an option for CSi cars only.

The "cut-out" wheels were casted as aftermarket wheels and not available from BMW.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
They do have the correct nuts and hubs now. Those are what BMW sent me as the correct parts!!! Just like the door brakes they say work on an e9...AND DON"T!!!

you can not complain BMW about the nuts !
if you received those nuts (the standard ones), is because you made the wrong order, the correct nuts are/have been available from BMW, you just need to find/ask for the correct reference number !

as to the doorbrakes, i have dozens of original doorbrakes ! you know the question is where to order parts from, ha, ha, ha, bmw is not always the best source ! ;-)