DYI wheel lifting stands

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I put my car off the ground for work, I like having the option to remove the wheels also. I've not yet run into a situation where I needed more clearance that jack stands provide, including adding a 5 speed. I'ts stressful enough jacking these cars up for stands, not sure I'd want to try to go higher for these. The next step for me would be one of those scissor lifts that you could sit under.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like mentioned in the link, it is a conventional way to support heavy stuff. Biggest mistake would seem using a too small footprint. Benefit of using quickjacks or similar lifts is that they offer all options for various repairs when combined with the pile of lumber of the first post.
I welded something together instead of piling wood. Works just as good, and you can design them to 'nest' so they take up half the space.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G800F met Tapatalk

restart

Reaction score
I use 4 of those cribbing stands with 4 casters on the bottom of each. Not that high though and my boards are uglier. It's great for moving car in tight spaces.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Having the car on jack stands up high makes me nervous and for doing rust repair, I need to have the wheels off so the cribbing wouldn't be best.

So I when I saw that Costco had the MaxJax on sale, I bought one. Just over $1000. Though I haven't have the coupe on it yet, it's been great to have for removing and replacing the transmission on the Boxster. It was so much fun I did it twice. :)
It's low enough to fit in my garage, but gets the car up high enough I can sit on a low roller under it. Super solid.

Ian

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How does one get the proper asymmetrical lift points on the coupe (frame rails in front, sub frame mounts in back) with the maxjack?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How does one get the proper asymmetrical lift points on the coupe (frame rails in front, sub frame mounts in back) with the maxjack?
the same question would apply to the quickjacks. with the linear nature of the quickjack, if you line it up with the frame rail you will miss the rear point. with the maxjax and the 2 arms you stand a fighting chance by having the post closer to the front of the car so the front arm reaches the frame rail ... and the lower arm reaching back to the rear subframe.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
The MaxJax arms are extendable so that I don't think I'll have any issue reaching in far enough to lift the frame rail. I placed the columns fairly close together and actually have to place the Boxster carefully so that I can hit the four jack points with the lifting pads. The arms are all about at their minimum distance. Since I won't lift the coupe by it's rockers, but will use the frame rails, reach shouldn't be a problem.

I'm itching to get started on the coupe. I have set a soft goal of attending The Vintage 2018 in her. That will be a challenge.

Ian