E9 3.0 CSL Alpina B2S

Henny

Reaction score
Hi,

Seen this beautiful 3.0 CSL Alpina B2S during the Oldtimer Grand Prix 2012 at the Nurburgring. This car was saturday driven during the 40 years BMW M Power presentation.To me this is the most impressive car I have seen during the whole day, and there were quit a lot interesting cars over there.
I believe this car is well known.
What do you think of the rims?

Nurburgring 2012 082.jpg
Nurburgring 2012 091.jpg
Nurburgring 2012 095.jpg

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Quite a few things wrong on the car ...................... only joking Yannick :)

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
A fantastic and well documented restoration, but I've lost the link.

Yannick,
Have you put the car into a concours competition ? I recall hearing Carey Lida say that in the beginning he had some challenges getting his car taken seriously, despite his equally impressive restoration.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Salut Yannick!

I think you are doing perfectly right when excluding concours competitions etc. It wld be almost impossible to find someone capable to judge your car in a correct way. Of course your B2-S wld win all prizes, except if a judge uses a "twisted reasoning" in the category "Most period correct".

Let me explain. When BMW/Karmann built the E9 coupes in 1971/1972, the quality was not the most important. The judge's reasoning could be the following; in order to be 100% period correct, one has to lower the quality-level of an E9 renovation.

Yannick's B2-S is simply in a better condition now, compared to when it left the factory/Alpina.

An example: when the E9 coupes were sprayed, at the production line, they were not completely sprayed. Just look behind the glove compartment, at an untouched E9. Only primer (no colour) will be seen.

I'm pretty sure, the job on Yannick's B2-S was done in a much better way. E.g. resprayed 100% of the chassi/body.

Most of the early carb CSLs, that were delivered to the tuners, were resprayed by the tuners (GS-Tuning, Alpina, Schnitzer, Koepchen etc). Often with a very poor quality. Last year, I have studied, in detail, one of the carb CSLs from the AMS reportage "Die fünf Muskeltiere". This car was Golf when it was delivered to Schroeder & Co at GS Tuning, who resprayed it in white with black satin (chrome parts).

Judging from the work on that GS car, the work was done (by GS) in a rush and without preparing the body at all. Simply just sprayed on top of the Golf without removing any parts. Later on, the car was converted to a Schnitzer version in a pretty OK way.

My conclusion: Yannick's B2-S is better than new. It would be" interesting" to see a "concours competition judge" making a negative remark on this. Imagine a judge saying something like "because it's better than new, I wld give it lower marks in the category Most period correct".

Try to find a competent E9 judge discussing at what VIN should the carb CSL be badged "CS" and not "CSL", which colour on the upper rubber-part of the Bilsteins (blue for new Bilsteins and black for the old ones). How about looking for the 36Ah battery holder with the additional spacer or looking behind the rear seats for the inscription of the colour code made with the correct pen etc.

I think Yannick's B2-S could serve as a reference model for how a B2-S should be built. It simply plays in a higher class than to participate in concours competitions. Maybe this B2-S could play a role as a case-study for future car developers.

All credit to Yannick and his knowledge when renovating CSLs.

Amitiés

Henric

Last edited:

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Yannick,

yes it was a pity - would have been good to catch up. Have you any plans to come to the UK?

Im glad the B2S is going well and you are using it.

Rohan

giannicsl

Reaction score
mitico Yannick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;--))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Since you guys seem to be so knowledgeable about all things E9, do you have any idea how many cars went to aftermarket tuners like Alpina and others?
Did many make it to the US?

Thanks from a relatively new owner.

Gary