Engine Mount Replacement

E3_UK

Reaction score
I'm replacing the gearbox mount and figured it would also be wise to renew the engine mounts as they appear relatively soft and deformed.
One query I have on the mountings, Real OEM gives part number 11 811 132 322 however I have sourced a Febi Bilstein part number 06739 that cross refers to 11 811 132 321. This shows in Real OEM as E12 '97 to '81 whereas 322 shows E12 '77 to '81. I hope this is the same part, time will tell.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ETK says…
IMG_5285.png

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Part #11 811 132 321 is specifically for 2 liter engines?
IMG_5286.png

E3_UK

Reaction score
OK, probably wrong then. I'll soon find out, delivery in five minutes !.

E3_UK

Reaction score
Thankfully they are identical apart from one stud being about 1/2" longer which is neither here nor there with regards fitment.

E3_UK

Reaction score
Well that was the best job I've yet done on the E3. For ten years I've been bothered by drivetrain thumping when taking up drive, unless using slightly higher than normal engine speed. The guibo and prop shaft bearing are both in excellent condition so I never attempted any fixes. So this year during the winter service I decided to replace the engine and gearbox mounting rubbers and having done so it has transformed the car with smooth drive takeup every time. There wasn't actually much wrong with the engine mounts, slight deformation on the RH mount that supports more of the engine mass but it was still serviceable. The gearbox mount however was as soft as putty and could almost be deformed to 90 degrees between the studs when mounted in the vice and was separating from the plates on both sides. I only wish I'd done this ten years ago when I bought the car.