Factory options.

Simufly

Reaction score
Just looking through a 1972 brochure original BMW accessories and there is an early inca (Si I assume) that has the intresting suggestion that a 5 speed box, LSD, rear sway bar and special radiator were all factory fit options.
I have never come across an e3 with a factory fit 5 speed box, plenty of later cars were done of course including my Si. Anybody any further info?
P1030459.JPG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The parts book shows 13 different radiators! Up to euro Modell 73 there was a Tropenkuhler or tropical cooler. There are others specific to cars with Klimaanlage or A/C as well so these must have a better capacity for cooling. Rear stabilizer bars and LSD were always optional. And there is no 5 speed in the III/75 parts book. Even the e12 didn’t get a five speed until later in the 70s I believe and it was an OD box.

Last edited:

Simufly

Reaction score
Yes, I am wondering if it was a bit of advertising hype, or an aspiration perhaps. Certainly, as you mention, there is no 5 speed in the orange books, but then neither is there a five speed box in the e9 books too. I have seen several mentions of a factory 5speed in the e9!

Simufly

Reaction score
I thought the only e9 five speed was the racing transmissions.
Probably! In the early days of they would make special order cars. There is a suggestion that the boss of the sporting division had a full spec CSL with air conditioning and leather Scheel seats.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought the only e9 five speed was the racing transmissions.

I really get a kick out of the easter eggs, false promises, and glitches in the BMW brochure.

The 5 speed was a ZF S5 18/3. All dogleg and all close radio. Alpina, Schnitzer, etc all used different ratios also.