Famous light weight Momo from an e9 CSL

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Want a famous steering wheel for your chariot?

Look no further for a review of the steering wheel (and car).

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/feature-cars/1110/bmw-30-csl-(1973)-review.

I personally prefer a heavier Petri so this is now surplus and is for sale.

It is 380mm in diameter and in good to very good condition. The leather is especially fine, with no visible wear and excellent factory stitching all around. Note, one part of the back of the steering column appears flat, which looks like it was knocked, but it fitted and works perfectly and is complete with screws and horn button.

The wheel is in Sydney and can be shipped almost anywhere.

Pricing is started at USD$500 but open to near offers plus shipping.

Very best, David

David
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3957.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
David,

Nice steering wheel! I sense some sarcasm in your listing :D Im guessing it is an illusion but the back side of the wheel appears to wrap around the hub. If so, I'm kind of curious to know how momo pulled that off with a single piece of aluminum. It definitely nicely isn't common. Something you would see with an oem wheel. Can your clarify?

A couple of things worth mentioning. The article calls this an Alpina wheel, which I don't believe to be true. The Alpina wheel based on the Momo A38 has an engraved logo on the upper right spoke. The article also refers to the wheel as 'optional', although this wheel wasn't an option on the CSL or any e9. The horn button is a replica but it looks good. Lastly, it would be helpful if you could snap a closeup of the "made in italy" on the backside. The inclusion or absence of a date code helps to date the wheel!

Regardless of that mentioned above I think you are in the right value ballpark given the inclusion of a hub (especially if solid), the condition, and your location.

Last edited:

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure I would make it onto the set of MadMen but it is fun to experiment!

Good news, it is an Alpina wheel - see the attached photographs. I plan to take off the hub to expose the date over the weekend.

The aluminium hub does wrap around perfectly, and looks great except for the flat section and would be USD100 extra as a set. I will separate on the weekend and check the make date.

Thank for your support on the wheel price - will give it a few weeks and then try eBay as they are offering me a free trial.

IMG_3975.JPG
IMG_3976.JPG
IMG_3977.JPG
IMG_3978.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You wheel just got more interesting! The 80's four spoke momo's have Alpina engraved on the upper right hand spoke, with no momo logo on the front. However, I found multiple examples online with the Momo/Alpina logo. Admittedly, the "L" in alpina looks different than the stuff I have seen (more cartoonish), and also different from yours (yours looks normal to me). Anyway most have the logo on the lower right spoke but some on the upper right.

It is interesting that you have Momo on the backside as well. It should say "made in italy". If there is no date code on the wheel, it is from the mid 70's. If that is the case, I would say it is a very early momo four spike wheel, likely the first iteration.

You don't need to remove the hub to identify the wheel. You won't find any codes near the hub flange. The hub itself should have a number stamped into the side near the steering wheel, and you may find a "made in italy" cast into the whee mating surface. I'll check mine when I get home. I'm not convinced yet that this is a momo hub, but it will be easy to verify. The premium that I placed on the hub is based on a genuine momo status.

Edit: Looks like the number code is on the mating surface. Mine is 152, which I think is for a 2002. I would expect a 157. You can see c157 on the collapsible hub.

IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG

Last edited:

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMG_4046.JPG
IMG_4045.JPG
IMG_4045.JPG

Markos,

Thanks - here you go - no made in italy stamp and the alpina momo hub code is just one higher than yours - 153.

Does this help you date the hub/wheel?

Many thanks

David

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's definitely a momo hub, and I think you had it on your car right? That's great to know. I didn't have the code.

I'm not sure about the date. My guess is mid 70's since there is no year on the wheel and the logo isn't stacked. Strange that it doesn't have the made in italy stamp...

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi
I might be interested in the wheel, I wonder how much shipping would be? I am sending you a PM,

Wladek

Reaction score
It's definitely a momo hub, and I think you had it on your car right? That's great to know. I didn't have the code.

I'm not sure about the date. My guess is mid 70's since there is no year on the wheel and the logo isn't stacked. Strange that it doesn't have the made in italy stamp...
Markos take a look at BMW Momo hub that i have in my Alpina wheel (i purchased couple weeks ago). Need some love, but i think in couple months it will look very different (as for now made renovation of horn button and center part).
This is definitely original hub of this wheel and this is definitely Momo hub, but probably very early style (steel version (not aluminium), marked S 153 154 156). Had Momo GT steering wheel from 1979 with early BMW hub that was aluminium, that's why i assume the steel one from Alpina is even older. Technically the style of this hub in my opinion is very similar to Petri style hubs used in some VW, Opel, BMW (836) steering wheels.
DSC03104.JPG
DSC03105.JPG
DSC03106.JPG
DSC03107.JPG
DSC03109.JPG

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos take a look at BMW Momo hub that i have in my Alpina wheel (i purchased couple weeks ago). Need some love, but i think in couple months it will look very different (as for now made renovation of horn button and center part).
This is definitely original hub of this wheel and this is definitely Momo hub, but probably very early style (steel version (not aluminium), marked S 153 154 156). Had Momo GT steering wheel from 1979 with early BMW hub that was aluminium, that's why i assume the steel one from Alpina is even older.

I think you have it backwards. The early hubs are solid aluminum. Momo switched to collapsible hubs to comply with safety regulations. I am not familiar with your hub but I have seen another on a vintage momo wheel (ebay). It is a momo hub. My guess is that it is the earlierst iteration of their collapsible hub. I would date it at the late 70's early 80's. Your wheel should have an 80's or 90's date code on the back.

Wladek

Reaction score
I think you have it backwards. The early hubs are solid aluminum. Momo switched to collapsible hubs to comply with safety regulations. I am not familiar with your hub but I have seen another on a vintage momo wheel (ebay). It is a momo hub. My guess is that it is the earlierst iteration of their collapsible hub. I would date it at the late 70's early 80's. Your wheel should have an 80's or 90's date code on the back.
Maybe you are right Markos, that this is collapsible hub.
Hub Momo.jpg

I don't have any production date or any other additional informations on backwards, just on front top right "ALPINA" and bottom right "MOMO". From what i've noticed - older versions of Alpina wheels have metal silver ring on horn button, later models have black plastic, of course someone can say, that everybody could change it during exploitation, but i really don't think that in mine anything was changed till it left production line (I suspect that it wasn't even cleaned).
Couple years ago, when i had MOMO GT and try to find more info about that particular steering wheel - i've found, that Momo began to add production dates and additional info on backwards in later production years.
But to be true, as for me - it doesn't metter if it was made in 70's or late 80's, the most important thing for me that this is genuine Alpina. I bought this wheel just for fun (renovation process), of course the price was right, so i couldn't resist. When it arrived - i was pleasantly surprised how light & comfortable it is. I'll probably keep it for myself and it will join to my beloved Petri's.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Wladek. Do you have any Petri E9 hubs for sale or can source some? With or without the covers.
Also a solid Momo E9 hub?
Thanks
Keshav

Wladek

Reaction score
@Wladek. Do you have any Petri E9 hubs for sale or can source some? With or without the covers.
Also a solid Momo E9 hub?
Thanks
Keshav
I don't have any for sale Keshav.
All steering wheels that i have where bought in Germany - so, you have a lot more chances to buy this parts in Germany, but you probably know that better then me.

p.s. From what i recently observed - right hub with cover + right horn (Petri) is worth more then bare steering wheel itself (doesn't metter if it 35, 38 or 40)

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"From what i recently observed - right hub with cover + right horn (Petri) is worth more then bare steering wheel itself (doesn't metter if it 35, 38 or 40)"

Absolutely right. Possible exception is an original leather Petri with or without a hub.
Thanks