Favorite type music and band???

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay, but it always depends on what you are doing or about to do ... a movie reminds me of one subject - 10 and the orchestral piece from Ravel - Bolero ... you get the picture. but if you were about to go out for a drive in the coupe, then you need to start with some electro rock - like kraftwerk's autobahn. if you were going for a ride in a car such as a '61 lincoln continental convertible, then it would have to be bb king + eric clapton - riding with the king. there are times when you are driving where some music just does not fit ... several years ago i was on a mountain road on the way up to the blue ridge parkway (on my way to asheville, nc) and it was very windy and not much in the way of guardrails ... and kind of a long drop off. i had been listening to pink floyd's the division bell, and it had to go.

general classic rock music it comes down to a list - for me at the top of the list it would be Genesis, both with and without Peter Gabriel, but that list would include Pink Floyd, the Allman Brothers, Jimi Hendrix, early David Bowie, anything Eric Clapton, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Traffic, Yes, ELP and Stevie Ray Vaughn

but i generally listen to jazz a lot - Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, Lee Morgan, Thelonius Monk and Wynton Marsalis. if it could only be one, probably Art Blakey because everybody played with him at one time or another.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, James Gang, The Who, Hendrix, Bowie, ELP, Deep Purple, Kraftwerk, Devo, Rush, GnR, B-52s, The Cars, Rob Zombie, Matt Rae Trio, The Cranberries, Genesis, Lou Reed including The Velvet Underground, NIN, Queen, Tool, Yes, White Stripes, and various one hit wonders from the '60s to the '90s

On long drives I shuffle the 3,000+ songs, on shorter drives I'll listen to a single artist like The Who, Zeppelin or Rush most of the time, love music with great drummers.

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
80's new wave; The Cure, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, The Motels, Echo & the Bunnymen, Psycadelic Furs, Modern English, the English Beat, Iggy Pop
I have a Pandora station devoted to "California 80's"
Pink Floyd

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I drive my car to work I listen to NPR. When I drive my wife's car I listen to terrible pop music on XM channel "Venus". When I'm working outside or in the garage I have a Pandora station centered around the band "MGMT". I have network attached storage device (NAS) that runs my network cameras and music. On road trips I have about 100 gig of my personal music that I can access from my iPhone, including many of the classic bands above. I love Pink Floyd, Zepplin, Alman Brothers. All of my MP3's were ripped from my CD's, my wife's, or my two siblings. I have enough Beatles albums to take a cross country road trip and never listen to the same song twice. :) Both of my parents are classical musicians and my father is a live recording engineer for classical and jazz music, so I have a lot of that as well (but I don't listen to it all that often).

Other than that I spend a lot of time listening to the soundtrack of the movie 'Trolls", the soundtrack from "Frozen", and Lady Gaga (which my kids love for some reason - especially Bad Romance).

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can enjoy most everything except rap. Fave is blues and blues rock- SRV, John Mayall, Gary Moore, George Thorogood etc... For something different, I'll listen to Imelda May and Devil Doll.

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan, Andrew - no Eagles, Cream, Tears for Fears, CSN, Doobie Brothers, Stones and Boney James for jazz, really?

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Did someone mention The Who
Going to be a great summer for Live music

a40ae0581c47c4724fff202ae60131fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan, Andrew - no Eagles, Cream, Tears for Fears, CSN, Doobie Brothers, Stones and Boney James for jazz, really?
for me, Cream falls under "anything Eric Clapton" ... yep, Stones was an omission. the others are on playlists, but NOT leading candidates for me. i say that while the Eagles Bitter Creek is playing on the playlist right now. and YES, Barry ... i did mention the Who. i'm not jealous, i'm not jealous ... but i did see them in late 1975 in Baton Rouge ... i think that was the who by numbers tour ... but now that i think about it, not much from that album was played - a lot from Tommy (probably because of the movie), who's next, quadrophenia and some old stuff

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I mentioned one hit wonders from the '60s to '90s...I am of course joking that the groups you listed are one hit wonders. I hear their music all the time on the classic rock stations I listen to. Not a jazz guy, yet there are a few exceptions like Brubeck & Ed Thigpen.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
80's new wave; The Cure, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, The Motels, Echo & the Bunnymen, Psycadelic Furs, Modern English, the English Beat, Iggy Pop
I have a Pandora station devoted to "California 80's"
Pink Floyd

i get all the list from stan adding prefabsprout, aztec camera, lloyd cole & the commotions, the church, and the smiths

for driving the coupe it is CCR specially suzieQ and run through the jungle

a new guy in the block, appropriate for coupe driving is nick waterhouse, the Holly album is played again and again

but on the top of the pyramid is tom waits

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After spending (wasting?) a large time of my younger guitar-filled days figuring out and playing along to every Beatles and Stones album and other classic bands that followed their lead, I am burned out on listening to the genre. So with all the interaction I have with people and stress during the work day, when I get seat time in my coupe I usually listen to nothing but the engine. This allows me to pay attention to the vital signs of my car but also puts me in a nice relaxing state of mind where I can let the rat race go and enjoy the moments behind the wheel. I like Pink Floyd but it's not driving music for me, although I could see a nice shift into 3rd gear during Gilmore's solo on The Wall.

While working on my car in the garage I only listen to the sound of the wrenches and my cuss words, again the focused solitude is what relaxes me now.

For the occasional time I want some tunes and turn on the old Becker, I stream Spotify and see where the mood takes me. Recently it was rat-pack era singers like Frank, Tony Bennett, Andy Williams (his version of Moon River is pretty amazing), and others. A sure sign I am getting old, and the jazz chords in those songs are way over my head to worry about figuring them out.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I drive the coupe I listen to Shine on you crazy diamond ( Pink Floyd ) 13 minutes long, country roads, side drafts it all goes together nicely

gwittman

Reaction score
I like most types of music but have a difficult time getting into opera and hip hop. I don't consider rap as music. All of the early rock that has been mentioned is great but I would like to add Buffalo Springfield, The Doors and I am surprised Jimmie Hendrix has not been mentioned. I am a big fan of Fleetwood Mac and would probably have to be my favorite group if I had to choose one. The Who is OK but I am not a great fan of them in general.
Since the early 90's I have been listening to country music a lot more. I don't care much for the hip hop that has influenced some of the more recent country music. I very much like Jazz also. My Step daughter introduced me to John Mayer and I like the jazz he does but not some of the rest of his stuff.

steve in reno

Reaction score
I have read all of the responses and agree with nearly all. And will try some listed that I have never heard before
R&R is here to stay.
Putting Tupac Shakur into the R&R hall of fame is shameful. Rap crap is not music!
I am a P Floyd fan from way back. Have you listened to Vast. Early recordings, better than later.
THE best traveling music ever is the "Last days of Fillmore West"..dble album with some very excellent driving music.(circa 1972)
Santana, Beautiful Day, Quicksilver Messenger Service.
Jackson Brown, Traffic, Todd Rundgren.
More of an "old dead black man blues" guy lately. BB, Teddy Pendergrass, Howlin' Wolf.