First racer for sale

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
way cool. love the tandberg livery. i used to have a tandberg cassette deck ... really great piece of kit.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought all Group 2 cars had to retain the steel doors, door cards, etc so other than the later 3.5l motor in 1974 and the bubble flairs is it really considered a CSL? Incredible history, how many race cars have that kind of documentation?

shanon

Reaction score
Its a very trick and storied 2800 in my book.
It is unclear if hood, doors and trunk were converted to aluminum. Its possible but not mentioned. Even if done, I still cant call it a CSL.
It left factory as a 2800cs then evolved on track in period with the go faster bits added as owner desired trying to stay in the front row.

Pics of it racing in '69 at SPA are great, basically a street car on stock rims race rubber, side exhaust and a number: a classic gentlemen's race weekend. Good times I'm sure.

I had a email chat with CCK when they were doing the refreshing, they said they didnt have enough of the original 70-71 'bits' to take it to that period, so they worked with what they had.

I think it needs the proper Alpina MOMO 3 spoke rudder.....just my 2 cents.

Going out to buy a lottery ticket now.....wish me luck ;-)

wsk

Reaction score
It is as much a CSL as its contemporaries- a Group 2 CSL was defined strictly by whether it met the FIA 1648-71 homologation rules. The earliest ones, like this one, were based on 2800s (BTW this car belonged at one time to our dear Jimmy Baker, but he never brought it to the States). Some were based on CSis, some on production CSLs, and quite a few on "body in white" shells like the Luigi cars or the Martini car. Also BTW the Group 2 rules changed several times in important ways so you can't compare cars from different periods.

wsk

Reaction score
You bet. BTW the price on the Alpina car is > $1M. Not unreasonable really if you consider that a Porsche RSR from the period with comparable history would be twice that.