Getting an E9 running again

Ety

Reaction score
I'm going to my Dad's house in a few weeks, I would like to try and get the E9 sitting in his driveway running again. It's been sitting for about 5 years, last time it started it was sitting for a few years and trans fluid leaked onto the exhaust when it started, since then the carbs got stuck at about 1/2 throttle. I don't think the car is going to ever be road worth again but I would like to try and get it running. Can I get away with starting it and if it starts running it for a minute without changing fluids? Can I just tie off the gas line, put a new battery in, pour some gas down the carbs and see if it will start?

Malc

Reaction score
If it hasn't run for a while can I suggest the following to give it the best chance of running without any major damage.

• 1. Take out the plugs and squirt a little oil down each bore
    2. Check for any debris or small furry animals living near rotating parts, rubbish in the engine bay etc!
    3. Check that it does have oil in the engine and transmission, especially if an automatic, water in the radiator etc.
    4. Turn the engine over without the plugs in to get the oil moving about.
    5. Remove the air cleaner (s) and using WD 40 etc see if you can free of the carb linkages and get them moving again.
    6. If it has a mechanical fuel pump what you can do is rig up a temporary line to the inlet side and run it to a small petrol can or suitable container with say 1/2 litre (1 pint) of fuel, see if the pump sucks up the fuel.
    7. OK now you hopefully have an engine that turns over freely and fuel pulled up to the newly freed carbs....
    8. Add a plug to a lead and crank the engine - getting spark??
    9. If getting spark, put the the plugs back in
    10. Go for it

Then you suddenly realise you like the car and you want it to live again :wink:
HTH
Malc