heater blower motor install

ajf

Reaction score
My heater blower motor has died. I have a new motor (motor only, not the plastic fan) on the way and so will need to marry the new motor to the old fan.

The fan is old, plastic, and potentially brittle. The motor rotor is apparently pressed into the fan assembly but is very firmly in place. The process of removing the motor from the fan therefore seems like a broken fan waiting to happen. In looking at past threads I see that others have done this maneuver successfully -- any tips on the best method(s) to separate the motor from the fan (and replace the motor) without breaking the fan?

Also, I see from the repair manual that it's frowned upon to replace only the motor; we're warned to replace them as a unit since they are balanced as a whole. Yet, given the difficulty/cost of finding the both together I see that many have replaced the motor only. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for any advice, etc.

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ajf,

Just bought a blower unit which includes the new motor and fan from ECS Tuning for $269.08 it has arrived and looks exactly like the OEM one. We will be reassembling the heater A/C this next week. The part is ES#:175670. If you are inclined to buy new and can stand the expense probably the best long term solution as the 40+ year old plastic and assembly look fragile. The ECS unit also comes with the balancing pins on the blades so it spins true.

Regards, Jon

ajf

Reaction score
Ajf,

Just bought a blower unit which includes the new motor and fan from ECS Tuning for $269.08 it has arrived and looks exactly like the OEM one. We will be reassembling the heater A/C this next week. The part is ES#:175670. If you are inclined to buy new and can stand the expense probably the best long term solution as the 40+ year old plastic and assembly look fragile. The ECS unit also comes with the balancing pins on the blades so it spins true.

Regards, Jon

Thanks, Jon, good to know if I decide to go that route.

gazzol

Reaction score
It is actually very easy to separate them, I had to do this a few weeks back and was amazed to find the motor for around £40 of ebay. Remove the retaining washer from the motor shaft and then whilst supporting as much of the circumference of the fan as possible I pressed the motor off the fan. Granted I used a hydraulic press and not every one has free access to one, but if you don't then it is worth paying someone a few bucks to do it for you.
Regards
Gary

goodkarmech

Reaction score
I have done it in the past without any tools other than a small punch and a hammer.
Make sure to remove any rust from the tip of the motor shaft on top of the plastic blower.
then as others have said support the fan on wood blocks as much as possible.
I also used a rust buster chemical spray as lube. Tap carefully and use as little force as possible.
I found once it was initially moved a tad, it came the rest of the way very easily.
Good Luck!

ajf

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I'll post my experiences if I learn anything beyond what's already noted here when I do this.