Hello from New York

Snufinfumin

Reaction score
Glad to be registered, been reading for a while. The '74 Coupe has been in the family since 1980. I am looking forward to being a member of this community and sharing any helpful experience possible! Currently working on rebuilding the differential and changing the exhaust to stainless. Thinking about Cargraphics since the cost is the same as W & N but has larger front pipes (1 5/8" vs. 1 3/8"). It will need the B35 manifolds to optimize the flow and the geometry of the pipes will need to be different along with two bolt flanges. Has anyone done this? I don't need headers since the engine is stock/injected.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like a recipe on how to lose low end torque

Snufinfumin

Reaction score
Yes, that is true but with the four speed I hope to make up for that with a bit more power around 4k and up. I just don't think the W & N system will have any extra "vitality" (?). I want a little more low growl...have you changed to stainless?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your low compression USA engine is putting out 50 hp less than what the exhaust manifold was designed for.
The 218hp euro e24 engine used the same manifold and did just fine.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Imho low end torque is underated. How much time are you going to spend at very high rpms vs feeling the accel in your back on the way there? You'll want the torque for nice accel through the gears and starting off.

I removed my centor resonator. Sounds great.

Snufinfumin

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! That just raised another question, I believe the car was originally bought in Italy, all the gauges and the panel controls are in Kilometers/German. I wonder if the motor is therefore different than the USA destined cars? If so, would the exhaust ports match up with the B35 manifold ports? I see what you are saying that there is no reason to change the manifold if the B35 ports are too big.

Did you keep the W&N rear (small) resonator?
One of the reasons I started looking beyond w&n is they are nearly two months away from having the system now. Quicksilver makes one but is $2K and I spoke with CoupeKing which looks excellent but is $2,500.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome to e9coupe John,

take a look at fritz's bits. OCCoupe installed their system as i remember

http://www.fritzsbits.co.uk/systems/e9-m30-system-detail
http://www.fritzsbits.co.uk/exhausts-manifolds/e9-m30-manifold-set-csl-3-0-detail

the manifold is 480 gbp and the muffler system is 550 gbp.

another option is to find a stahl header either used or the new iteration of them, exactly the same just doesn't have the stahl label (still made by the guys that used to work for stahl - they bought the jigs). i believe its ACP in harrisburg, pa - 717-232-2800 ... my understanding is that judy stahl will answer the phone. if you have a stock engine or anywhere close, the 1 3/8" primary tube is what you want.

Snufinfumin

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback, I hope to be able to provide some feedback to other members at some point. I had emailed Fritz previously and their header is only for RHD. I will call ACP but might just keep the manifold, may not be worth getting into changing it and it is in good shape. The motor is stamped with 3.0/3.3 so it is probably just stock fuel injected. I just inquired about the Fritz system (there are no front pipes in the picture) since they say it has better flow than stock. It will be either them or W&N since they are well reviewed. Thought Cargraphics had larger front pipes but theirs is the same as stock at 1 5/8" O.D.

Another part of the car that has never been on it is the rear sway bar...was that an option? Seems strange that it's missing and I would like to find one, preferably used. I was also thinking about Poly bushings for both bars. Have you had any experience with this?