Help needed—shifter woes

corvair kid

Reaction score
So my Bavaria has been out of commission for a couple of months in need of a shifter rebuild (Getrag 262 four speed). Slowly but surely I've been making progress, and tonight I started putting it all back together...only to discover that the problem doesn't seem to have been fixed.

The weird part is that this problem showed up very suddenly one day, as if something had abruptly broken. It's as if the entire shifter assembly (the entire transmission?) has moved rearward by about 3/4", making second and fourth nearly impossible to engage—the shift lever hits the rear edge of the console before it can get far enough back.

I replaced the selector rod bushings, the ball cup, all of the exhaust shield support brackets, the foam sound absorber, and most importantly (I thought) the rubber mount at the rear of the transmission, which was considerably worn.

There's still too much play in the exhaust shield for sure, which I guess could be part of the problem; I had someone else get into the car and shift while I was underneath, and if I pushed up on the rearward edge of the shield, it would go into second/fourth, but barely. Otherwise, it's still hitting the console well before it gets to the engagement point for second or fourth.

Has anybody encountered anything like this before? It was literally fine one day—no untoward noises or vibrations, perfectly smooth and good performance—then nearly undriveable the next. Do I need to be looking at motor mounts or something that might have caused the entire powertrain to shift position? I did just notice that the air cleaner is sitting pretty much right up against the firewall...

Help!

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, I would look at the motor mounts. Does there seem to be a larger gap between the fan blade and the radiator? Although 3/4" shift rearward would put the rear of the head against the firewall.

Alternatively, maybe something is broken on the shifter arm (the cup holding the two plastic guide rings, the arm itself).

Are the forward gears (1st and 3rd) shifted that same amount toward the rear?

corvair kid

Reaction score
The shifter arm seemed okay. 1st, 3rd, and neutral all seem to be a little further rearward than they should be, yes. And while clearance between the fan and radiator is still very small, it does seem like it might be bigger than it should. The rear of the block is pretty nearly right on the firewall, although fortunately it doesn't look like any hoses or other fittings have been pinched or damaged.

A cursory visual inspection of the mounts this morning didn't show any immediately obvious breakage, but there may be something that I can't see until they come off—definitely seems like it's worth doing.

corvair kid

Reaction score
Just to close the thread...

New motor mounts were installed—I'm making this sound so much easier than it really was—which is probably worthwhile maintenance on the car but did nothing to solve the issue with the shifter.

Eventually, I figured out that the two bolts coming out from the transmission that the top of the exhaust shield mounts to had lost the nuts holding everything in place. As a result, there was significant play in the exhaust shield and, consequently, in the shifter. It was tricky work getting my fingers between the exhaust shield and the transmission tunnel, but I managed to get a washer and a nut on each side, tightened them down, and voila! Problem solved!

A lot of effort expended when in the end the fix turned out to just be a pair of nuts. But, now I've got new motor mounts, a new transmission mount, a rebuilt shifter that's much smoother to operate than before, a new guibo (gotta do that while you're in there), and so much more familiarity with this car.

Thank god I can drive it again!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, nobody can ever say you don't have a pair (of nuts)....... sorry for the bad humor....good job figuring that out. It's better than needing a new transmission. I thought stuff like that only happened to me.