help with dash wood

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Folks, Helping a friend do a low-budget and hopefully quality job on their wood. I'll post some pics below of what I have done so far but I'm having trouble getting the bezels out of the dash wood- Any ideas?

Attachments

• dash wood1.JPG
    dash wood1.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 145
  • dash wood2.JPG
    dash wood2.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 136

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
unscrew the metal back plate and then i think they just fall out. i've only done it once ... and it was a year ago.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so what are you going to do to the poplar? it doesn't stain that well (or evenly) ... we generally use it for paint-grade wood. are you going to put veneer on it?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used the poplar wood on my coupe and got it to stain evenly (had to mix a couple of colors), then I sprayed multiple coats of poly and I think it's OK, considering I was not going to put mega bucks (or time) into it- what do you think?
dash wood17.JPG

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My experience was that the bezels were actually lightly soldered to the back plate.
It takes some pressure to get them to pop loose.
Try sliding a metal putty knife under the back plate and lifting carefully till they pop loose.

If not you may have to put some heat to them around the edges to get the solder to soften.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, they're off- thanks- and can someone tell me what type of wood I should get for the doors and dash as I might as well do it correctly as long as I'm here.
dash wood18.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good job so far!

LOL @ your shop attire. Doing a bit of word work between client meetings?

dash-wood11-jpg.25028

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've come home from the office during lunch a number of times and got caught up in an ongoing project so I can relate!

Good job so far!

LOL @ your shop attire. Doing a bit of word work between client meetings?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've come home from the office during lunch a number of times and got caught up in an ongoing project so I can relate!

Ahh yes. I am extracting a bolt from my buddies motorcycle in business casual this week. Lunch time wrenching!

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
From this website, which I never doubt; original wood is a french oak, coated with a satin (or semi) gloss.

@ Markos; it's the same with me.... I walk into the garage, just to fetch something, glance toward sleeping beauty there, and then realise I can just do that one small thing and have no-one notice it.....and an hour later That-All-Important-Family-Member is annoyed by the fact that A. I am in my sunday attire upside down under the car and B. I went Missing in Action and C. the "something" hasn't appeared back in the house to hang that painting, or screw on that lamp.....

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From this website, which I never doubt; original wood is a french oak, coated with a satin (or semi) gloss.

@ Markos; it's the same with me.... I walk into the garage, just to fetch something, glance toward sleeping beauty there, and then realise I can just do that one small thing and have no-one notice it.....and an hour later That-All-Important-Family-Member is annoyed by the fact that A. I am in my sunday attire upside down under the car and B. I went Missing in Action and C. the "something" hasn't appeared back in the house to hang that painting, or screw on that lamp.....
and when i scanned your post, i saw "That-All-Important-Family-Member" and immediately thought of the coupe. what was i thinking??? anybody else share in my disease?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Erik, I am sure that you meant French (or English, Italian, or even Persian..all same Juglans Regia) WALNUT. Your all-important-family-member wanted some Oak for the fireplace....

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pry the plate off the bezels not the other way around.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, lots to answer here- Thanks Don, yes, I don't think putting the bezels back looking like bottle caps would be appropriate. Regarding removing, there are 11 screws in the rear to be removed, then some strange wood rings covering up the soldering points; those were removed and the solder was removed with a sharp scraper- the bezels then fell out when the backing plate was removed.

Regarding my attire, when I was young I went to parties, and everywhere else dressed like a slob, or as people used to say; a filthy violent hippie- (that was a long time ago) Jerry Garcia died and I grew up a little. Now I work on cars in my business casual garb but I wear my little white glovies and I stay clean. Also, the office crew does not know that I'm not conducting business in the warehouse when I disappear for a couple hours and come back to my office clean. Please also note that this gives me time to read the WSJ which is conveniently located on the floor at a perfect reading distance :)

And no post is complete without a question; where would I get a selection of veneer pieces without ordering on line- or is there a good on-line store to get this stuff? Dave, thanks for your note- please feel free to chime in- I'm no woodworker.

As always thanks so much