How to remove the clip that holds the spring in the PS reservoir?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dang it, I thought I would find this subject well covered as I imagine this is something that needs to be done by most. But a search for something as simple as PS reservoir yielded lots of other info on the subject but not on this particular issue...

On my car, there is a "one way press on" type of clip on the center shaft that holds the access plate to the filter.

The closest I have found is Chris Ohmess who wrote "you need to shimmy that round clip on the top of the spring up to the threads, then unscrew it as if it were threaded and then remove the spring and the plate covering the filter." I'm not sure what "to shimmy that round clip up to the threads" means.

Do you simply brute force the thing out with snips and pliers and put a new one on? If so, where do you find this "new one"?

And the logical follow up question would be: Why did they design a holder for a filter that needs to be periodically checked or changed with a non "re-usable" system? Was it really that hard to put some threads on that shaft so that a bolt could be used?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You need to push the spring down and take the tension off the clip. It won't move with the spring pressing up on it. Once you get the tension off then try to unscrew the clip as if it were threaded. I grabbed it around the perimeter with a plyers.