In the Garage

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a way lay station till I can get the car up to it's winter home. It is swapping places with a 1966 Corvair that I bought in 1982. I hope to get some work done on the Vair in this space.

In the Garage.

csgarage.jpg

The Engine will be a looker
csgarage2.jpg

It looks good, but I do not like this steering wheel. A leather one is taking it's place. I love the wood dash and door trim though. Felt so nice to be giving a car wood care.
csgarage3.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice to see my garage isn't the only one with a lot of extra "stuff" in it :mrgreen: Love the Alpina intake.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bob,

it looks like you have a really good starting point. keep us posted on the winter's progress.

cheers
scott

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll be relieved when it leaves the new home for the one with some tools. I am enjoying cleaning it.Will post some cleaning shots tonight.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope to dive into these Webers (one at a time) and just do a basic cleaning and replace gaskets, etc. I'd like to learn how to tune them one day. There is a top rated Ferrari mechanic a couple of miles away. I think I'd like him to have a look come spring time and dial them in. Such a pretty piece of industrial design, I can look at them all day. I think I will sanitize the fuel hoses and get some additional fittings to neaten things up. This car makes very little intake noise from my limited seat time.
triples.jpg

There is an odd gap where the carbs mount to the manifolds. This is the way it is on each carb, and from the looks of it, you would thing there would be a massive vacuum leak. That does not seem to be the case. I'd imagine the weight of the cast intake might have something to do with this. Maybe this is normal?
webergap2.jpg

Anyone good at identifying headers? Curious what brand they are? I plan to get them ceramic coated over the winter, so they live a bit longer.
headers.jpg

The frame rails and inner fender cleaned up very well. This paint was applied in 87's so I think things are stable here.
framerails.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Glad you asked, because I was going to mention this. In My Weber book it mentions that vacuum advance might not work as well with these carbs. It did not elaborate. There is a common chrome rail (in the photo) that pipes into each carb. It was also not connected to anything. Maybe this was the distributor vacuum at one time. It is also the right size to go into an open port that is on the air filter cover.

61porsche

Reaction score
Headers- appear to be Stahl or Paeco. Period correct; especially for the triples. Make sure you use silicone wires, the OEMs won't take the heat. 635. Consider a heat shield gasket from a 635. It helps keep the washer hoses/ bottle from melting too.

Distributer advance- Webers don't normally have the provisions for a vacuum advance, i.e. before the butterfly for the correct signal like a normal zenith. If hooked up it would retard the timing if the distributer is untouched stock. The period or correct distributer would be mechanical. Best to check with a timing light for total advance; if it stops at 22 advance that's not enough. Have the dizzy recurved for say 33- 36 all in, but chances are it has been.

Balance vacuum tube- seen them on Z's for period emission devices ( vacuum canister, etc.) but there would need to be a solenoid, not for distributer. The tube does settle down the vacuum signal rather than just from a single carb. Some older makes had a vacuum accumulator canister.

Did the cold air box come with it? If not, you'll have to round up those parts.

Looks nice.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I can tell what the headers are not. They are NOT Stahl, Headercraft or Supersprint, all of which have front and rear flanges each combining three header tubes. and not the single flange per tube these have.

As noted, there is no suitable vacuum port to hook up the distributor vacuum advance. I have this setup with a 008 distributor and it works just fine.

I think the intake manifold gaskets are some kind of anti-vibration device. From what I have read, they are prone to air leaks.

What kind of fuel pump does your car have?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill, I am now very curious about the headers if they are hard to identify. My car has a vacuum module on the distributor, so I guess it is not optimal. I picked up the car last week, the fuel pump has since grenaded. I believe it is Purolator. Not much writing on it. It was mounted beside the coolant reservoir. I replaced it with a Carter 4070 that I plan on mounting in the corner of the trunk. Will add a regulator if it puts out more than 4 psi. I'd be curious to see what you have for a setup. 61 Porsche, I have the airbox and hoses as well.

Last edited:

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The fender top looks great. Perhaps even pieces of it replaced. It also seems one of the PO's may have had an injection setup on the engine. There is a black airbox CSi support bracket bolted to the inner fender.

You will want to consider upgrading the cooling fan to the more effective 9 blade + clutch.

Have fun.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The fender top looks great. Perhaps even pieces of it replaced. It also seems one of the PO's may have had an injection setup on the engine. There is a black airbox CSi support bracket bolted to the inner fender.

You will want to consider upgrading the cooling fan to the more effective 9 blade + clutch.

Have fun.

Sven, I have a Black airbox that slides into this mount. It looks the same as the Alpina CSL airbox in the for sale section. The fenders have been replaced. You can see pockmarked metal where they join the old with the new. I will be upgrading the fan to a newer style. Anyone know exactly which model or part number? HBChris thought an e28 might be the one. I also received a quote from a local shop to get the rad re-cored with three rows. IS any one running a fan shroud? I see one in the real OEM parts listing.

Last edited:

waynesie

Reaction score
Love the triple webers.

The gap between the carb and the manifold is the soft mount. You can also see a rubber washer on the mounting stud. You should be able to grab each carburetor and move it up and down a little bit at the inlet. This is the proper way to mount a sidedraft weber and this soft mounting is very important to keeping your carb working properly and prolong the life of the float. They do not like vibrating at the same frequencies as the motor.

Nice ride.

Wayne

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for that information Wayne. I am finding the little work I have done on it very satisfying. Figuring how to proceed is certainly taking up a lot of my time this week.

chamonix

Reaction score
There is a black airbox CSi support bracket bolted to the inner fender.

Have fun.

I have been searching for that bracket to be mounted on my own car. Does anyone know if its availible ?
Sorry for OT.

Your car looks very good BTW !!