Leather 38cm Petri on eBay DE

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
has anybody successfully refinished spokes on a Petri? i have heard that it typically doesn't always go very well

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
has anybody successfully refinished spokes on a Petri? i have heard that it typically doesn't always go very well

I refinished the Petri on my coupe. Nickel plating and new leather. I took it to a chrome shops and gave them specific instructions.

image-jpeg.20008

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mike,

Did you remove the foam grip under the leather from the wheel before replating? If you did, how did you remove it, and more important, how did you get it back on the wheel after replating?

Cheers,

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mike,

Did you remove the foam grip under the leather from the wheel before replating? If you did, how did you remove it, and more important, how did you get it back on the wheel after replating?

Cheers,

Not entirely. First I carefully cut off the three tabs of foam that extend on to the spokes so the plating would reach further down the spoke so you wouldn't be able to see where the plating ended when I rewrapped the wheel. I spoke to the plater to get his thoughts on the process and the durability of the foam. The foam is very durrable and is rubber based. The plater felt that it would endure the process and said that he could wrap it with a special tape to minimize any exposure to the chemicals which are not very caustic to the foam. After plating we reattached the foam tabs with glue and then wrapped the wheel tightly with leather. I am very happy with the result.

Nickel plating is part of the chrome plating process. I asked them to plate in nickel then brush the nickel to achieve the correct finish. Unfortunately someone didn't follow the instructions very carefully and chromed the wheel; so they ended up replating the wheel in nickel. So the foam withstood the process twice.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, very impressed with the ingenuity and final product.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Must be nice to have access to craftsmen like that.

Not entirely. First I carefully cut off the three tabs of foam that extend on to the spokes so the plating would reach further down the spoke so you wouldn't be able to see where the plating ended when I rewrapped the wheel. I spoke to the plater to get his thoughts on the process and the durability of the foam. The foam is very durrable and is rubber based. The plater felt that it would endure the process and said that he could wrap it with a special tape to minimize any exposure to the chemicals which are not very caustic to the foam. After plating we reattached the foam tabs with glue and then wrapped the wheel tightly with leather. I am very happy with the result.

Nickel plating is part of the chrome plating process. I asked them to plate in nickel then brush the nickel to achieve the correct finish. Unfortunately someone didn't follow the instructions very carefully and chromed the wheel; so they ended up replating the wheel in nickel. So the foam withstood the process twice.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike, that is gorgeous ... can you send me the contact info on the person who covered your petri in leather? since i have a really nice petri, i would like to cover it in leather.\
thanks
scott

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mike, that is gorgeous ... can you send me the contact info on the person who covered your petri in leather? since i have a really nice petri, i would like to cover it in leather.\
thanks
scott

If I recall from his build thread it was his master upholsterer Juan. I also recall reading that it was a PITA. :) Mike's interior ruined other upholstery jobs for me haha!