Lowering E9

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems to me the preferred approach on the forum is to use Carl Nelson lowering springs. You can fine tune the rear with different thickness rubber pads under the spring.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Most coupe owners' preferred choice would be Bilstein HD shocks. It's generally agreed upon that the sport shocks are much too stiff and jarring for the fragile coupe body.

Agreed with the Carl Nelson springs. My coupe once had a old set of H&B springs from the 80's and 90's fitted and they were kind of on the soft side.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Most coupe owners' preferred choice would be Bilstein HD shocks. It's generally agreed upon that the sport shocks are much too stiff and jarring for the fragile coupe body.

Agreed with the Carl Nelson springs. My coupe once had a old set of H&B springs from the 80's and 90's fitted and they were kind of on the soft side.

I believe the valving of the HD and sport Bilstein shock are the same. No stiffer or softer. Difference is stroke length. Sport is for use with lowering springs.

H&B says their springs are 20% higher rate. Must think Carl's are similar.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Normal but soft and 3 more coils than stock. About an inch longer

TodB

Reaction score
Agree that the valving on the HD and Sports is the same. Sports are typically used with lowering springs.

I have Carl's springs (with HDs) and I like them though I would prefer that they were 3/4" lower in the front. They sit just a tad too high for me. I have a larger sway bar in front along with an adjustable in the rear but I think I remember someone posting that the handling is better without the rear bar?

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I cut 'em

I had a pair of spare springs out of a 2800CS I could play with. I cut one coil off the fronts and rears. The fronts are perfect in terms of ride height, and with no weight the rears are too, but with weight in the car (like when I drive to The Vintage) the rears sit too low. I swapped the rears back to the original springs and the thinnest rubber spacer.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I regret cutting my rear springs even though I now have the perfect ride height. On normal road surfaces they are fine but hit a bump or pothole and it jars the chassis. My NK had cut springs all around and it rode terribly, stock springs returned it to a comfortable ride. Think twice before resorting to this.