Luigi Arrives in Seattle

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Shanon,

There were actually 3 Luigi cars in 1976. The #1 car (mine) after winning the ETT championship was sold to Martino Finotto in either late 1976, or early 1977. Then in 1977 the team switched from Castrol to UFO livery.

Finotto had been buying seat time in the #2 car in 1976, but wanted to have his own car. Luigi, who always operated on a shoestring, was happy to have the cash. The plan was that Finotto's would still be a team car.

Then in June or July of 1977 it appears that he and Luigi had a falling out of some kind. Finotto continued to race the car in UFO colors, but was taking the car to the Italian tuner Imberti:

Vallelunga_77_1.jpg
Vallelunga 1977

He did this to get back at Luigi, and he won enough races in 1977 ETCC to keep Luigi from repeating as champion, handing the championship to the Alpina Gosser Beer car.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Awesome, except at 2:45 where the car wouldn't start and was pushed onto a truck.
If it last raced in the eighties the battery may be dead :).

Seriously, I prefer the UFO design. But both Castrol and UFO brands still exist, you could run an auction between them and fund the paint job and then some.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Im biased. I've always used Castrol and think our coupes look best in darker colors.

shanon

Reaction score
Thx for the Luigi lesson Steve, don't know much about Luigi or the Italian or French (Gitane) E9 team efforts, great stuff. Love the privateer and small team racing campaigns.

Obviously well versed in the Italian E9 campaigns, do you have any more info on the '73 Targa Florio E9ers, "Shangri-La' & Alessandro Federico (#191)

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1973/Targa_Florio-1973-05-13-191b.jpg
http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1973/Targa_Florio-1973-05-13-191.jpg

Anybody have an idea what happened to ol' GS Tuning's #191 - MIN4 2093??

mucha graci! (how's my italian?!)

The '73 Targa Florio.....wow, what a grid! ;-)