Monterey 2016: What to do on Sunday only?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Because of various family scheduling issues, I will only be able to fly up to Monterey for one day: Sunday the 21st.

Real bummed I am missing the Legends event but it is out of my control. So I am flying up Saturday afternoon with my oldest son as a 25th bday present for him.

We have been to Monterey and to Laguna Seca many times before but not during this event.

From what I can figure out, the main thing happening on Sunday is the Festorics at Laguna. For those who are familiar with the event, what would be the main things to do, both Coupe wise and BMW 100th wise if you only had Sunday (and possibly Saturday evening).

We are planning on renting a car at the San Jose airport.

Thank you.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Real easy.........join a lot of us at the Concours d' Elegance. Then go to Festorics in the afternoon.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks very much Bav, Andrew and Mike. Great info.

I have looked everywhere and cannot find any detail on what BMW will bring to the events. I hope they bring the CSL Hommage and that new '02 turbo Hommage. Any idea on whether that will happen and if any of their stuff will be visible on Sunday? I would imagine they will bring some great examples from the motorsport division for the Festorics.

Also, the Coupe gathering at the Turn 5 corral at Laguna will happen all 3 days, correct?

Thank you.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I'm close enough, and have worked for enough OEM's to have done pretty much everything during Holy Week. If you only have Sunday, and have never been on the lawn at Pebble Beach, that's the thing to do. Bucket list item as said prior.

If you have done it, or don't want to spend the money, do dawn patrol, and get there in the wee hours of the morning while they drive all of the cars onto the lawn. It's free, and you get to see the cars running. Then after they're all on the lawn, bail out and head over to Laguna for the Festorics.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Races are Fri-Sun but corral is Sat/Sun only and there will be many fewer cars there on Sunday. They still have not filled the Lakebed corral with 500 cars yet. BMW brought the homage coupe last year but it could be there again with the newer one, there will be lots of race cars but BMW has not divulged what they are bringing. BMW is also featured at Pebble and several members here have cars that will be displayed, Class N I believe, on the bluffs above the cove.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you all for that good info.

The idea of doing a dawn patrol raid sounds pretty appealing when considering that it would cost $650 for two of us for half a day. But I don't want to miss any cool cars BMW might bring.

At what time do they clear the decks? And how do they go about doing that, out of curiosity..?

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
At what time do they clear the decks? And how do they go about doing that, out of curiosity..?

I haven't done "Dawn Patrol" in the last five or so years, but here's how it worked around 2010: They didn't need to "clear the decks" because you couldn't get onto the field without a ticket, no matter how early you arrived. Without a ticket, no coffee & donuts from Haggerty, no seeing the cars get their final detailing. But you certainly can watch the cars drive in - the roads around Pebble are public (though you need to be creative about parking).

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Monterey on the Sunday

Thanks jmackro, this is good intel. The Sunday is kind of a "wild card" Some of us have to get to airports, but still want to get in some car stuff. thanks for explaining what may be possible on that last....have to go now...day :-(

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you Jay indeed.

After reading all this I just found out we could maybe do the either Friday or Saturday after all...! We would have to fly in from Mexico (just south of the border - Las Gaviotas) for the day. Possibly coming up one night rejoining the rest of the family the next...

In terms of BMW action, if you had a choice between Friday, Saturday or Sunday, what would you guys choose?

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tough choice

The PB Councours is SPECTACULAR. Every car there is 100 pts, and after that it is just splitting hairs. Example, a couple of years ago there were two Miuras. I thought, why do they have two of them, after all they are series production cars? Well, one was the first one ever made, and the other was the last one ever made. Every car there is significant in some way.

On the other hand, a dozen or more folks from this forum will be at Legends, me included. Legends is very, very cool. And free. And you can spend the am at Legends and the PM at the track.

If you choose PB, go at 5am and do the dawn patrol. There is NO PARKING, unless you pay up for a CLub ticket. The first time I went I had to just park in the woods somehwere in the picth dark and hope not to get towed. After that, I rode with friends who either had a club ticket or were judging. T

he shuttles from town don't start running until 7am. So take an Uber.
Talk your family into letting you do both! Or let them shop in charming Carmel. My wife loves that part.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks very much to all for your great info. Excellent download there, craterface. Super helpful.

After considering all options, including cost, I have decided to fly up on Friday night with my son and spend Saturday at the show. I imagine it will mostly be Festorics at Laguna although we will probably try and take a peak at any other event that will be worthwhile and doable within the timeframe.

For example, it sounds like Friday night, the founder of Alpina will present a few special race cars at the CCA opening dinner. Should be pretty cool.

Looking forward to meeting more members of this great forum up there.

Bo

Last edited:

Bob

Site Donor
Reaction score
What to do? Take pics?

:p

Attachments

• 20160620_100246.jpg
    20160620_100246.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 175

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
WWW.MONTEREYCARWEEK.COM

This is an informative sight with all the details and links to the events for this week.

I like to go to the Little Car Show in Pacific Grove

Concours on the Avenue

The Tour D' Elegance. It's always a treat to watch these amazing museum pieces actually run and drive on the streets.

There's also the end of the Tour which is on Ocean Blvd. in Carmel.

Legends on Friday. There's also Quail but it is REALLY EXPENSIVE

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are all track days; but that gets a bit old for me. I would rather go to Concourso Italiano on Saturday.

There's also Concours du Lemons which started out as a car show for "cars with features only a mother could love" Now it is a mix of unusual cars as well as junk people have slapped together just for the event.

Sunday is the best. The Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance.

And this year the Octoberfest Concours will be held on the following Wednesday.

There are also many other BMWCCA sponsored activities and auctions that occur throughout the week. Just remember that you can not possible see everything or do everything in 1 or even 2 years of attending the Monterey Car Week. Pick the ones you really would like to do then save the rest for another visit.