Attachments

• full_20130708_173658_626916445.png.jpg
    full_20130708_173658_626916445.png.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, that's funny- in preparation for the new engine in the blue coupe I asked my neighbor (who has a machine shop) to take the slop out of the shifter bushings. He came up with pretty much exactly what you have. Question- will shortening the shift shaft by any specific amount aid in less stick travel from the inside?

Thanks

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On the shift lever (the one that the knob attaches to) if you add length below the ball it results in a shorter throw and less movement in the cabin. Too low and it can hit the drive shaft. On the linkage between the tranny and the lever, longer means less shift lever movement, I went with a slightly longer UUC dogbone to avoid the dreaded rubbing of the console in 5th gear syndrome. So far the 320i lever and 143mm UUC dogbone combo has been great.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
BET YOU A HUNDRED BUCKS MIKE BOUGHT THIS OEM PART
A PIECE OF FOAM TO KEEP GREASE IN THE END OF THE SHIFTING ROD

Well it IS a really nice piece of foam. You're not just going to find something like that laying around.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On the shift lever (the one that the knob attaches to) if you add length below the ball it results in a shorter throw and less movement in the cabin. Too low and it can hit the drive shaft. On the linkage between the tranny and the lever, longer means less shift lever movement, I went with a slightly longer UUC dogbone to avoid the dreaded rubbing of the console in 5th gear syndrome. So far the 320i lever and 143mm UUC dogbone combo has been great.
I went with the UUC short shifter and it has worked great for 10+ years