New Member from Münster Germany

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello forum members,

I thought it´s time now to join your forum, being active in the german E9-forum for a couple of years.

I am Thomas, born in 1957 near Cologne.

My first classic car was a 1971 Fiat 850 Sport Spider. I like the Italian style, specially the fronts.
Visiting the Nürburgring Oldtimer Grand Prix frequently I fall in love with the design of the Volvo P1800 Coupe. The front looks similar to that of the Maserati 350 GT which of course I could not afford. In the neighbourhood I found a Volvo P1800S with the restauration having been aborted. It took me 10 years to bring it back on the road (mostly due to the fact that I had to work abroad frequently).
During this time in the mid 80s I was looking also for an E9, but even at that time there was no chance to find decent ones at reasonable prices.

So, "Aus Freude am Fahren" I purchased a 1981 E24 635 CSI, manual 5-speed, red leather seats, Polaris. It was my first "really expensive car". I stem from a poor family, but after working in Saudi Arabia for one year I thought "you really deserve it, now or never"!

Getting older the passion to own an E9 slowly returned, so in 2014 I found a 3.0CS, FjordBlue-metallic. After enyoing driving for some time curiosity let me dismantle the right front fender. Guess what happened? Of course, a full restauration started, of course more work than expected.

Still working abroad frequently I found not much time for this project and it is still not finished, final painting after KTL and reassembling is still pending.

But I wanted to drive the E9, so by chance I found a decent 1974 CSI, Verona.

Enough is enough I heard my wife saying, but last year I saw the 1972 RHD CSL on Ebay, also in the neighbourhood. Some of you will recognize it, it was auctioned in 2017, Historics at Ascot. I was the first who answered the ad, a week later it was (hidden from my wife) in my barn.

Lots of work, lots to tell. So let´s start.

Thomas
20220906_161443.jpg
IMG_1561.JPGIMG_0766 (Large).JPG20220730_174225.jpgWAF_CS1H_Beifahrerseite.jpg

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome! Nice collection of cars you have there.

I'm intrigued into more details on the state of your e9's, as I'm sure other members are too! Do share a few pictures so we can admire them.

Tschuss, Erik. (From just over the boarder near Eindhoven in NL)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome! A fearless soul! Some great cars in your collection. My first car was also a 850 Fiat. Looking back there was lots to like about that little car. Would like to hear more about your goal. Is it to restore all three? Focus on the CSL? There is a wealth of knowledge here so ask your questions and please send more pics!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Greetings TomHom and welcome to the forum. I've been into my e9 for almost ten years now, and recently acquired a 1979 635csi (which sat idle for ten years and needs a ton of work).

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome Thomas. I look forward to following along in your journey. I am a couple of years into my restoration of a '73 CS. This forum is indispensable.
Stephen

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice collection... All beauties and CSL ...

Welcome!

I supporting Erik's about some more details and challenges of your E9 pack. :)

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, let´s start with the Fjord-blue-metallic 1972 CS which I bought in 2014. The car was ready to drive. I knew, more or less, the critical points to be checked. I said to myself "will be some work" but since I did the Volvo before I was sure I would be able to handle it. And I had a good friend, Manni, who could help me with the body work.
BMW_30_CS_1.JPG
I really enjoyed driving this car, so much different from the E24. The car felt so light, so easy to drive, the high driving position with 360° surround view, felt like in heaven driving this car.
Anyhow, the time came to face reality. So I started cutting off the right fender.
20160207_001855.jpg20160210_232034.jpg
Déjà vu for some of you, point of no return for me!
After some sleepless nights and taking deep breaths in the morning work started.
After a while it looked like this.
20160508_001205.jpg20160817_230722.jpg
Luckily I found a good top strut mount. They are hard to find, but now there is a reproduction, good quality from Poland, 2.5mm steel
Dombleche Nachbau Cars by Linke Ansicht von oben.JPG
For the left side I found a NOS inner side panel.

E9 Seitenwand.jpg

And after a couple of years it looked like this:
E9 von KTL zurück 1.jpg
After final KTL (I don´t know the translation for "Kathoden Tauch Lackierung") it´s waiting now for the final paintwork.
But something clashed, in the shape of a 1972 RHD CSL.
....to be continued

Thomas

Last edited:

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Tomas! The Volvo P1800 is the first classic car I ever wanted. You have a lovely collection. And a cool driveway, I might add. Here's to an untroubled journey as your restore your CSL! And gee, why does your mom let you have two verona coupes? Save some for us wretches with no coupes. Alas, I will live vicariously through you.