Nice Looking Tool Set

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I met Don Bower and the Grande Dame of couping herself at the Eurofestival here in greenville this past weekend. The best picture I took was of Amy's tool set! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413847397.632703.jpg

Last edited:

duane_sword

Reaction score
I got some tools...

A whole bunch of tools in my E9 toolkit - 95% of which I haven't used or know how to use for fear of hurting myself and the car ;-)

Attachments

• 4310155_tray_2.jpg
    4310155_tray_2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 278

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll play

This is my old clamshell, I had to buy a new one after shutting the trunk on a bottle of wine in a grocery bag, blew a hole in the bottom of it :-(

picture.php

dbower

Reaction score
pliers

As we pondered the cosmic meaning of toolkits at Eurofest, Wayne Lester and I discussed a question that has been nagging me (I have no life): Are the water pump pliers supposed to overlap the other pliers as they lie in the tray? Seems odd to me that the elves would have designed it that way, but every tray that I can recall seeing has them that way. Seems like I have also read that BMW used different size water pump pliers over the years. Is it possible that original E9 pliers were marginally smaller? Does size really matter (rhetorical)?

Don

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shall we start the sleeping-dog debate about the Shroud of... oops, I meant the Blue Cloth. Said with the appropriate reverence. My understanding, no coupe came with a Blue Cloth. They came later. And some according to Legend had a faint image of what's his name who designed the 507, Count somebody.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fantastic. Even more so knowing the tools are not counterfeit.

What is the tool furthest to the left ? I was told that feeler gauges where OEM, but I'm not sure I see them here.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Murray once told me to carry my tools in a pouch rather than leave the weight in the tool chest, so I removed them, lost them for a while in my clutter but now they are back in the chest. Phew! I am missing the feeler gauge, but have two plastic window tools (1 is a repro…Thanks Stan) for anyone that wants to make a deal!! Are the Pink spark plugs still available?

duane_sword

Reaction score
I use the pouch

Yes I also use the tool-roll pouch for my tools when I am not 'showing'.

There is too much weight otherwise inside the clam-shell and the fragile mounting points.

I think I purchased my tool-roll from CoupeKing.

I see that you can also buy the re-created feeler gauge from CoupeKing: http://www.coupeking.com/?post_type=parts&p=3544

No I am not an employee of CoupeKing

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is the correct shape of the original spark plug socket?

Stan has the straight profile at the narrow end in his photo while Amy, Duane, and Steve have a tapered end?

Doug

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used the pouch when I had my old toolbox, the new one are very solid so I've been keeping them in situ for now.

Pink plugs are available often on eBay Germany, I just got some. If you want to get picky the stock size is Beru 175/14/3

Murray once told me to carry my tools in a pouch rather than leave the weight in the tool chest, so I removed them, lost them for a while in my clutter but now they are back in the chest. Phew! I am missing the feeler gauge, but have two plastic window tools (1 is a repro…Thanks Stan) for anyone that wants to make a deal!! Are the Pink spark plugs still available?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doug,

I think the only difference in spark plug tools is the early and correct tool has a metal clip inside to hold the spark plug. Later tools have a plastic clip inside. The non-hex ends don't have a taper that I can see.

Correction: Ah, you mean the bar, sometimes referred to as a Tommy Bar! Not sure on those.

Chris

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,

Maybe spark plug socket is the wrong description. It's the spark plug connector used at the end of the ignition wire. I have various versions left from old tune ups in my bin (some with tapered ends and grooves, some with just the tapered end, and some without any taper at all like the one I think is pictured in Stan's kit.

Doug

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This will probably diminish my standing around here (such as it is), but when I found my toolkit had been ravaged by the seller of my car, I bought a Sears toolbox and put in it a set of combination wrenches, a pliers, a channel lock, a combination screwdriver, some picks, duct tape, bailing wire, a magnetic pickup, flashlight, bottle opener and a flask of Makers Mark.

So, I've got that going for me.