Our own Alfa celebrity

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
This month’s AROC magazine featured our very own Craterface in an Italian rally (Modena Centroid Ore Classic), sort of an alternative to those for whom the thrill of the Miile Miglia has faded. I, for one, would like to see more of this type of event here in the USA.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hopefully if Scott was in Modena, he took the opportunity to eat in one of the world's greatest restaurants - Osteria Francescana.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
This month’s AROC magazine featured our very own Craterface in an Italian rally (Modena Centroid Ore Classic), sort of an alternative to those for whom the thrill of the Miile Miglia has faded. I, for one, would like to see more of this type of event here in the USA.
Well, when you write the article yourself about yourself, not sure it counts as celebrity! But yes, the Modena Cento Ore is a Blast. There was a prewar 328 in the full race class (running at the back). Any e9 or 2002 could probably make it into the event.

My buddy and I did the regularity class, and we got to drive four circuits and ten closed road sections (hillclimbs uphill). There is nothing like that in the states where they close the roads in ten places and the hillclimbs are miles long (more like mountain climbs).

Jon, you should write about racing your Alfa and submit it to Alfa Owner. They would print it for sure.

Scott, I missed that restaurant, because we had the last dinner in the military college in the center of town and it was superb. All the places we stopped to eat were amazing. Totally different from the Mille Miglia, where they offer a buffett only slighty above the grade of Western Sizzlin' or Cracker Barrel.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, when you write the article yourself about yourself, not sure it counts as celebrity! But yes, the Modena Cento Ore is a Blast. There was a prewar 328 in the full race class (running at the back). Any e9 or 2002 could probably make it into the event.

My buddy and I did the regularity class, and we got to drive four circuits and ten closed road sections (hillclimbs uphill). There is nothing like that in the states where they close the roads in ten places and the hillclimbs are miles long (more like mountain climbs).

Jon, you should write about racing your Alfa and submit it to Alfa Owner. They would print it for sure.

Scott, I missed that restaurant, because we had the last dinner in the military college in the center of town and it was superb. All the places we stopped to eat were amazing. Totally different from the Mille Miglia, where they offer a buffett only slighty above the grade of Western Sizzlin' or Cracker Barrel.

I'd like to think that we could have events somewhat like this in the US, but alas, unless there is a tradition of having a particular event that people are trying to preserve, I don't see it.

We came dangerously close to losing the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix - the last vintage car race run on public roads in the US - in 2016, although I suspect this is not widely known. A young couple, in search of some form of Pokemon Go in-game reward had passed the roadblocks at the entrance to Schenley park, jumped at least one fence, and meandered out onto the short straight leading up to turn 13, staring at their phones as they walked. Luckily, one of the practice sessions had just ended and there were no cars on the track. The corner workers had turned away from the track seeking water and shade, and did not see them, so I yelled to them "you have people on the track." They proceeded to chase the couple away, although the young women initially did not respond to verbal commands and had to be pulled off the track by her companion. I'm convinced that if that couple had gotten hurt, despite their carelessness, it would have ended the PVGP forever.

Scott - is your article online? I'd like to read it.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like to think that we could have events somewhat like this in the US, but alas, unless there is a tradition of having a particular event that people are trying to preserve, I don't see it.

We came dangerously close to losing the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix - the last vintage car race run on public roads in the US - in 2016, although I suspect this is not widely known. A young couple, in search of some form of Pokemon Go in-game reward had passed the roadblocks at the entrance to Schenley park, jumped at least one fence, and meandered out onto the short straight leading up to turn 13, staring at their phones as they walked. Luckily, one of the practice sessions had just ended and there were no cars on the track. The corner workers had turned away from the track seeking water and shade, and did not see them, so I yelled to them "you have people on the track." They proceeded to chase the couple away, although the young women initially did not respond to verbal commands and had to be pulled off the track by her companion. I'm convinced that if that couple had gotten hurt, despite their carelessness, it would have ended the PVGP forever.

Scott - is your article online? I'd like to read it.
It is not online unfortuntely. I will try to scan and upload, although technology is not my forte.