Pittsburg Grand Prix July 17-20

Doug Dolan

Reaction score
http://www.pvgp.org/bmw/

Any E9's planning on the Pittsburg Grand Prix?

My first, and heard it was a great event. Any suggestions ?

I'm leaving the Boston area early morning, Thursday July 17th

It is a great event. I've been going since 1999 -- only missed a couple of years since then. on your link Go to the bottom of the page & book a room at the BMW Club hotel to get the special rate. That's where most of the BMW's will be. Has a washing station set up and reserved area for BMW parking.

Vbigdog

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is a great event. I've been going since 1999 -- only missed a couple of years since then. on your link Go to the bottom of the page & book a room at the BMW Club hotel to get the special rate. That's where most of the BMW's will be. Has a washing station set up and reserved area for BMW parking.

Doug,
Thank you, I'll do just that and book the Double Tree.

If you don't mind, I'll be taking a lot of pictures of your interior and engine bay. Very impressive.

duane_sword

Reaction score
Yes - hopefully

Yes I am planing to go with my coupe (reliability issues depending... ) otherwise I will be there in a more modern BMW

gregthall

Reaction score
My Father in Law shows his Lancia every year at the Grand Prix, they live about an hour from the show. I may go.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pvgp

The Car Gods dealt me a mixed hand on this one.

I got to meet the e9 folks who posted here and the Pittsburgh gang are very nice hosts, but alas the Friday night/Saturday rain dampened the car turnout. Worse yet, Vbigdog and Duane_Sword covered their cars to protect them from the rain Saturday and then headed home Sunday so while it was nice to meet these guys, I barely got to see their cars. And Bimmerboy73 didn't get his e9 finished, so not only did I not get to see his car, I didn't get the bumper I was hoping to buy from him.

Oh well, I picked up a handful of useful tidbits that I intend to implement on my car, and the sights, sounds and smells, particularly in the paddock, of the PVGP were well worth it.

duane_sword

Reaction score
A wet event to drive 1200 miles

Oh yes Tom (vbigdog) and I drove our coupes to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix this past weekend.

We drove ~300 miles on Thursday night (no rain, no problems) to get half way from Boston to Pittsburgh (to Scranton PA).

Then with a 6am start on Friday we drove from Scranton to PA another ~300miles... we joined the BMW CCA folks for their drive/tour and then participated in the special dinner event hosted by the local BMW chapter at a BMW dealership.

However, from late Friday night and all day Saturday it simply poured rain... not good for coupes, and caused delays in the racing and on-track activities too. Infact there was a major accident in a Lotus on track that had a driver seriously injured (broke both legs I believe) and made a hell of a mess of his vintage racing Lotus and delayed any races for ~2hours, and then the rain fell harder so they cancelled racing for the rest of the day.

Tom and I drove back from Pittsburgh at 7am Sunday and we arrived back to Boston at 7pm with breaks for lunch and keeping speeds sane.... after 1200 miles, no speeding tickets we are proud to report.

Attached some photos from the event.

Attachments

• July20_cruise.jpg
    July20_cruise.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 187
  • BMW Sewickley PA.jpg
    BMW Sewickley PA.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 2002_PVGP_2014.jpg
    2002_PVGP_2014.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Ferrari_FF_PVGP_2014.jpg
    Ferrari_FF_PVGP_2014.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 162
  • M4_PVGP_2014.jpg
    M4_PVGP_2014.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 177

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Question for you guys. Is the interior of the Polaris coupe in the photo above black?
I am in the process of going all black with my Polaris and can't tell from the photo.
Thanks, Steve
This is the first time I can remember serious rain at the Pittsburgh event. I have been on the track in the rain before they shut down. Scary.

duane_sword

Reaction score
Interior of VIN#4310155 (Polaris)

Question for you guys. Is the interior of the Polaris coupe in the photo above black?

Steve, the Polaris coupe is mine, and the interior is as follows;
* blue door cards
* blue carpets (though in my restoration I used English Wilton wool)
* deleted the stereo and speaker (I use my iPhone with bluetooth to a discrete JamBox)
* front seats are Recaro from the early 1970s
* the side supports of the front and rear seats are blue leather
* the seat centers/inserts in the front and rear are Alpina cloth (as used in the new B7)
* the headliner is original, cleaned
* the auxiliary gauges are VDO aftermarket
* Petri steering wheel, Alpina shift knob, and other goodies

attached some photos

Attachments

• SWORD_INTERIOR.jpg
    SWORD_INTERIOR.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 4310155_1.jpg
    4310155_1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 4310155_interior.jpg