Rear Shock Tower Reinforcements back in stock

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
We now have the rear shock tower reinforcements back in stock. Everyone E9 owner needs to have a set of these ready for the inevitable failure of these shock mounts. I carry two sets when we travel: one set for our '74 coupe and one set for other E9 travelers.
Right now until Friday 12 AM you can get 10% off of our regular price on these and other products over $100.

aguirola

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea! Was never aware of this extra bonus feature of our lovely coupes :)

I only have a question, you carry a set(s)? Who does the repair on the road?

Really appreciate the kind offer...

Regards, Alberto

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea! Was never aware of this extra bonus feature of our lovely coupes :)

I only have a question, you carry a set(s)? Who does the repair on the road?

Really appreciate the kind offer...

Regards, Alberto
Thank you! This has been a problem starting in the seventies due to the poor design of the top of the shock tower itself. Many E9 owners have been stranded until it can be repaired because the shock tower typically fails catastrophically . Any competent sheet metal welder can cut off the damaged portion of the shock tower and weld in this reinforced part to solve the problem in pretty short order.

Last edited:

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Im going to need a set...
You can order a set here:

E9 Rear Shock Tower Reinforcement | 2002s Only

The E9's rear shock towers are notorious for failing catastrophically at the least opportune moment. These reinforcement tops are designed to be easily welded into place after removing the top 15mm of the shock tower thus eliminating any possibility of future failure. Two of these are included...
www.2002sonly.com
www.2002sonly.com

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very happy with the set that I picked up from Hal a while back. For more information on why you need this for your coupe:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you! This has been a problem starting in the seventies due to the poor design of the top of the shock tower itself. Many E9 owners have been stranded until it can be repaired because the shock tower typically fails catastrophically . Any competent sheet metal welder can cut off the damaged portion of the shock tower and weld in this reinforced part to solve the problem in pretty short order.
Indeed, on page 3 of the Fall 1980 issue of the C.S. Coupe Newsletter, there's a mention of the prevalence of rear shock tower failures. This is on vehicles no older than 12 years so to paraphrase a computer-related joke on data loss: There are two kinds of coupe owners, those that have suffered rear shock tower failure, and those who will.

Unless, of course, preventative action is taken prior to failure.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are two kinds of coupe owners, those that have suffered rear shock tower failure, and those who will.
Thank you for that reference!!
As a former sys admin, I must have repeated that IT line a thousand times!

Last edited: