Recommendations for Parts?

Dave G

Reaction score
Good point Mike! I too have been charged import duties between $25 and $45 a few times on my larger Walloth orders. They came as invoices from UPS after the shipments arrived and seemed a bit random, however UPS was relentless until they were paid. I began to pay them right away to minimize the annoyance. Here's how I rationalize my orders/fees:
  1. I'm grateful that orders to Walloth & Nesch from the US are not charged the EU Value Added Tax (seems like about a 20% difference if I'm seeing it right!)
  2. Nor do they charge State and local taxes like I would have to pay for orders in the US (~8-9% in my location).
  3. W&N rotates through sales and specials on parts, usually 10-20% off, I try to take advantage of these prices on parts I know I'll need in the future.
  4. They also offer 20 Euros off on orders over 200 frequently.
  5. I'm grateful that W&N caps the shipping fee at 49 Euros and as someone mentioned previously, I also order as much as I can in each order to avoid paying multiple shipping fees.
  6. I'm grateful for every order that I receive that doesn't have import duties since I assume that the "powers in charge" could charge it on everything if they decided to.
Mike's data suggests an 8% import tax and if ~$750 is indeed the tax trigger point, then yes, one would save ~$65 by splitting a $1500 order with $120 of tax due into two $750 orders with no tax due but one additional ~$55 (49 Euro) shipping fee. Perhaps someone can confirm the duty rate and tax trigger amounts. I'm just grateful when I have enough to order to justify the shipping fee and/or get the 20 Euro discount offer! :oops:

tdgray

Reaction score
Yep… Don nailed it. I’ve done the strategic ordering thing for some years now. Sometimes it works out sometimes you just have to suck it up.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
These taxes are set forth in various laws, and have nothing to do with any particular vendor.

VAT is imposed by several jurisdictions outside the US, primarily in Europe, and in order to hide it from consumers, is built into the stated price of goods offered for sale. VAT, however, does not apply to sales into the US. We should pay the ex-vat price when buying from a vendor in the EU. Sometimes you have to ask about this.

As to sales taxes, very few vendors outside the US collect and pay sales tax to US states, even though they technically are required to do so. The reason is simple - states do not have the resources to undertake collections activities for sellers located outside the US. California is the only state I am aware of that goes after these transactions, and even in CA you have to have a large recurring volume of transactions (e.g. you run a restoration shop and buy lots of parts overseas).

Customs duties, or tarrifs, are imposed on imports of auto parts into the US. These are federal taxes (and at one time, along with a handful of excise taxes, were the primary means of financing the federal government). As Don notes, there is an exemption for small dollar transactions, but above that the seller will hire the delivery agent to act as a broker for the amount of the tarrif. Historically, UPS/FEDEX would require payment of the tarrif prior to delivery. However, for business reasons they now deliver the goods, bill the customer for the duties and pay the duties over to the federal government. These are not additional charges for services by either the seller or the delivery agent (although I think the delivery agent can sometimes charge for the service of collecting tarrifs); these are taxes imposed by our government.

A note on dealing with Alprada - the US has a treaty with Columbia that provides for a 0% tarrif on auto parts imported into the US.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone used CSI Inc (www.bmwclassicparts.com), for parts for a '72 3.0 CS? If so, would you recommend? I'm in Canada, and although I've found some guys that are reasonable in Germany, California is a lot closer. Also, if anyone can recommend anyone else that's somewhat close, I'd be eternally grateful. Currently I'm looking for door skins, but this is just the beginning...

Thanks!
H.
Just my opinion. This is another alias of 2002ad. I would never, ever use this guy again. I'm very, very displeased with them. I've been on e9coupe.com for a while now and this is the only shop that I would speak about in this way.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would use La Jolla Independent, Maximillian or Walloth und Nesh.
i echo Stan's recommendations and will add getbmwparts.com (a real BMW dealer with good pricing). i also recommend Mesa. please follow the link in my signature (below) to the FAQ - top sources

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On a side note - For bulky or delicate items, I would recommend you consider your local BMW dealer.
Several years ago - I lost one of the gutter trim pieces (the one that runs up and over the door and down the back of the rear side window). It is a made of soft aluminum and has a rather convoluted shape. Not well suited for shipping without having to pay for a BIG box - and even at that the trim is pretty delicate, so... you are still taking your chances with it staying in good shape.

These values were off memory but I recall the mail order places were ~$60 for the piece - plus shipping and all.
The local dealer was ~$80 - But no shipping charges and I could make sure it was acceptable before I walked away with the part.
I have found that the dealer is sometimes a surprisingly decent option for some of the BMW provided bits.

Plus - One by product of this relationship was that when Seattle BMW built new showroom and service buildings - Along with a few other local folks who had interesting cars, I was invited to have my car on display for their open house and facility dedication. That was pretty cool.....

Either way - just a thought.....

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00431.JPG
    DSC00431.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 20