Repurposed junk

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
For a while I have wanted a place to put nuts, bolts and tools when working on the Coupe. Thought about it for a while, Last night I thought I would drag out an old rusty tray I knew I had ditched years ago in the grossest part of my home's garage.

Started by Bead blasting it clean. That probably took two dollars in electricity. (Most expensive electricity in North America is in Ontario)

Once cleaned off, I trimmed a piece of angle iron so it would just fit in the recess at the front of the rad support and tack welded it to the tray. Underneath the tray, I attached a small piece of wood to support it just on top of the rad .

Then I lay a clean micro fibre cloth over the rad support so nothing gets scratched.

Then finally acid etched it and powder coated it in a color I hopefully will not forget before slamming the hood down and lined it with some rubber stuff I had on hand. Probably used $5.00 in electricity and breathed a lot of crap in the process (priceless)

The tools are just staged props for now.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought you guys had megawatts of hydro power.
Ontario used to have tons of power. (Nuke, gas, coal) Quebec though is a giant in hydro power. Ontario bought into wind farms in a big way and guaranteed solar contract's initially at 80 cents a kilowatt hour.
We closed a lot generating plants down and rather than refit our giant coal plant with scrubbers, we mothballed it. We actually do have a surplus, because the industrial sector is using so much less. We now pay Ohio to take our surplus when the wind blows, they in turn Lure our remaining mfg over the border with offers of cheap electricity.
Energy poverty is a reality in Ontario.

Anyway used the tray all morning as I removed more stuff in the engine bay.
I am pretty happy with it . Should go into production.... If the damn energy wasn' so expensive!!!

Last edited:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, not that I live there anymore, but I did live on Maui for 10 years and the current power rate is 31.5 cents per KwH. That's about twice your peak rate. Makes good sense to switch to solar power. We did.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, not that I live there anymore, but I did live on Maui for 10 years and the current power rate is 31.5 cents per KwH. That's about twice your peak rate. Makes good sense to switch to solar power. We did.
Nice in Hawaii. Kinda dark and snowy from November till April North of Buffalo though.... The wind never blows when all the AC is on in the summer too. It is a debacle in Ontario.
If I had a suitable cottage though, I'd do it off grid. Solar panels, bank of batteries and a giant propane tank. Heat would be wood and propane. Propane fridge and stove. Led lights. My friend has this setup and the only time we fire the generator is to make toast